Chapter 43: The Ghost of You

[Third Person POV]

She swallows a lump on her throat, her figure screaming of agitation. "Kurt..." she trails off, but she couldn't say anything more, for his figure dropped dead before her. Like a puppet whose strings has been cut clean.

She has seen this scene in her memories, in her dreams. How many times have she dreamed this again? three? It's not like one would keep count on the number of reoccurring dreams they have. She simply doesn't have the luxury to.

Then she remembers what she will see next. She begs her subconscious to stop, to give her freedom over her own body, but she feels stuck on place, her feet and legs heavier than blocks of ice.

"No, no, no, no. NO! PLEASE" She begs, she wails, she cries out, but her body turned deaf to its owner's command and walked over the corpse of her dead comrade as if she stepped over nothing more than a mere log.

But what surprised her is that the person she expects to see next is not there. It should have been someone else, laying there with blood all over his figure, soaking the dirt on the floor, but its isn't.

Its her.

Her long dark hair, drenched in blood and dirt remains as a ragged mess on the floor. Her dead and cold cobalt blue eyes stare back at her with emptiness, devoid of life and the rosary she used to wear around her neck is nothing but scattered beads and a string on the floor, broken.

She couldn't believe her eyes, she stares at the image before her in disbelief, but her brain refuses to compute the fact that the woman before her no longer have legs, for they have been somehow buried under the floor. Nothing is visible from her hips and lower.

Then suddenly, the body before her came to life. Daniella's chest start to rise and fall in rhythm and then, the woman shot up and took quick, desperate breaths, as if she has been devoid of oxygen for a very long period of time. Riza froze, she doesn't know how to react, her face remained shocked, staring at the woman who seems to be unaware of her presence at the moment.

"This can't be real"

"No, it can't be"

"There's no way"

To her horror, the woman noticed that someone is watching her, her eyes landed on Riza's shadow that's casted by the numerous torches that illuminated the room. Slowly and cautiously, she raised her head until her lips parted to gasp as their eyes met.

"Riza?"

"Daniella?"

They both said in unison.

The two took their time in observing one another, taking in each other's presence. Both in disbelief, shock and confusion, they shake their heads, refusing to accept what's in front of them.

Because how can one simply be alright with this? No one in the right mind would be.

"This isn't real. You're not real. I must be dreaming" Riza is exasperated with tears forming on the corner of her eyes as she walks around the room, ignoring the dismembered parts of fallen soldiers that she stepped over. For now, she has control of her own body. Pacing around the room, her thoughts ran rampant.

Yes, she has seen numerous amount of corpses in such a short period of time. However......

No one ever said anything about a corpse coming back to life.

But there she is, staring at Riza as she tries to pull her thoughts together by making a list of a hundred impossibilities that's happening right now. Riza doesn't know what's going on or how she's going to react to this, there's too many emotions, too much for her to handle. A large lump formed on her throat as she thinks about her situation.