Chapter 9: The Cold

(Months later)

"Okay Cadets! We're heading out to train in the cold, let's see how tough you shitheads are against mother nature!" The commander shouted.

I gulped at this and tugged on the end of my black scarf. It was winter now, the cold was here, it is my least favorite time of the year.

"You shitheads will start at the top of the mountain, then you all will go to our base at the foot, let's see how you all will survive. Remember that I'm not responsible for any injuries and death that might and WILL take place"He said. A lot of nervous faces appeared in our crowd, the weak ones will surely die. The weak ones, and the ones on my team will die.

"Now, prepare everything you think you might need, go to your squad and start the journey to the snow mountains, you'll climb it and go back down. Understood?!"He shouted.

"Sir! Yes, sir!"We shouted, then we were dismissed.

I hurried back to my cabin and packed. I wore the thickest jacket and sweater I have. I grabbed some food and water plus my inhaler.  I went out and joined my squad

*****

"Squad 31, what's our status?"I asked as we ventured up the mountain.

"No sign of the other groups yet, the temperature seems to drop as we go further up the moutain" Beatrice responded.

Beatrice is my right hand in the squad, she's a fairy attractive girl with full straight bangs and a ponytail. She's talented in strategy and team work...something I'm not good at.

"Okay, let's camp here. We're halfway up the mountain anyway"I said. They all sighed at this.

We've been climbing the mountain for quite a while now. Nothing seems to have changed, it's always just a bunch of snow and trees. It's just colder here....if that's even possible. 

The snow is starting to get thicker, it has been very difficult to move.

"Squad leader, Kurt can't take the cold anymore"Beatrice said. I turned to the blonde haired guy with an undercut. He was shivering and he looked up to me with scared eyes.

"Let's make a fire"I said. I opened my bag as the others try to gather as much dry wood as possible. I grabbed a canister of gas and poured it to the pile and lighted it with a match.

We all gathered around the camp fire and warmed ourselves up. I eyed the dancing flames before me and absorbed the heat.

"In 10 minutes we'll continue our journey, you may rest or eat" I said as I stood up and turned my back on them.

"I'll be right back" I said and left the group.

The forest was dense and quiet. The creatures that usually would roam here is now hibernating. Truth is, I separated myself from my group to look around to see if there's anything beautiful in this cold land.

It was my first time going up a snowy mountain. I was more of a village and meadows girl when I grew up.

A new chapter is added to my pocketbook, it was about this snow owl that stared at me with it's big beautiful eyes. Eyes are my weakness, it is how I manage to know what other people feel, wherever I stare at them, I can tell whether the person is sincere or not.

I find it to be the most attractive part of a person.

I went back to our campsite after 8 minutes. I ate some bread and rested beside the fire, when 10 minutes has passed, that was when I called them up.

"Okay, let's continue our journey"I said and we started packing. I extinguished the flames by pouring snow over it and I watched the steam dance in the air as they packed.