Chapter 54

Salam.
So it seems Paired may just become my longest book.
A chapter more until it surpasses Hidden.
Anyways so the mission is underway 😌
Best of luck to them.

*****************************************

Karim saw as everyone successfully crossed through the checkpoint. He, his dad and the soldier who seemed to be in charge were the only people left. The previous person checking the documents had been changed to another man who looked a bit rough.

Karim was next. He stepped forward and handed over his documents.

"Ehsan Ali." The man mentioned his fake name.

"That's me."

"Hmm." The man looked at him for a long time before looking back at his documents.

"Ehsan...My brother's name is Ehsan."

"That's nice to know." Karim smiled tightly.

"He's dead."

"I'm sorry." Karim apologized.

"Don't. I killed him." The man grinned.

Karim kept a stoic face as the man handed him his documents.

"You can pass. Next."

Karim walked past him and released a breath of relief. Now for the one person who could destroy this mission.

Tawfiq stepped forward and handed him his documents.

"Furqaan Jabbir." The man mentioned and arched a brow.

Tawfiq only nodded in confirmation.

He looked at the documents for a while before looking at Tawfiq carefully.

"You can pass."

Well that was easy and fast.

The leader of the troop also passed through simply. It seemed they knew each other. They had to be acquainted from the glare they gave each other.

Finally they were through. What was all the fuss about then? It was simpler than Karim imagined.
However his internal jubilation was cut short. All his thoughts were stopped when the man who had checked their documents stopped them.

"Stop!"

Karim could hear everyone's breath hitch. He had celebrated too early. Had the man recognized them? They were surrounded and even if they tried to make a run for it, they might not make it that far.

"You. Furqaan." He pointed at Tawfiq.

Tawfiq turned to him slowly and raised his head.

"Is there a problem?"

"Take of your cap." He ordered.

Without hesitating, Tawfiq took of his military cap.

"You look familiar." The man rubbed his beard.

"I can't quite place it but you look like someone I've seen before."

Karim looked around him. All the security officers there had their weapons in hand whiles theirs had already been sent to the base. They were doomed.