Chapter 26

Salam 🙂
Another chapter 😁😁
I know I know 🥴
Anyways let's get reading 😁

*******************************************

Karim could remember everything that happened after his parents found out Shams was pregnant.

~
"You don't have to do this, Rimi. I can take care of myself." Shamsiya exasperated.

"I know you can. But I need you to understand that I have to do this. You'll be branded everywhere you go. I don't want you to go through that." Karim told her.

"Don't you think I deserve it? I've disappointed the whole royal family. People who took me in and treated me no less than a daughter. And this is how I repay them. You don't need to take the blame. You don't need to lie to everyone that you're the father of this baby. When we both know you are not. You're too much of a gentleman to take advantage of anyone."

"Were you taken advantage of? Shams, I need you to tell me the truth. Who's the father of the baby? Did he...he... did you not give him consent? Shams that's a crime and if you trust me, we can bring whoever he is to justice. I'll make sure he gets the maximum punishment. You just have to tell me who the father is. Please Shams. Please." Karim pleaded with her.

She looked at him fondly. He cared too much. Putting his name and title on the line for a mere maid's daughter. She'd bear everything on her own. She's protected him once. She'd do it again if needed.

"I can't, Rimi. You won't understand now but I just can't. I told you because I trust you. And I need you to trust me too. But please don't put your head on the line for me. I'm grateful but don't. Please Karim. Don't ask me about this again. I'm begging you."

Karim didn't say anything else after that day to her so she had thought that meant he'd not do anything about it again. But the day the Queen and her mother found out, her knight in shining armor came to her rescue and did exactly what she had told him not to do.

From that time onwards their relationship began to spiral into chaos with constant arguments and never understanding each other. The inseparable pair now couldn't stand being around each other. And getting married made everything worsen further.

But no matter how far they'd drift apart they'd come back together. And they did. They became best friends again and dare we say they become like a real married couple. It was during that time that Shams made him promise her to do something for her.

They were in her balcony as usual talking when it got silent all of a sudden. Shams looked on with a small smile.

"Rimi. I need you to promise me something."

"Anything." Karim nodded vigorously as he took her hands in his.

"Promise me that you won't let anyone brand..."

"Trust me, I won't let anyone brand you as anything. I promise you that with Allah as my witness. As long as I'm alive, no one will think of you as anything but the next Queen." Karim promised solemnly.

Shams smiled at him.

"That's a nice gesture, Rimi. But that's not what I want you to promise me."

"What is it then?"

"Protect my baby, Rimi. Protect my...our baby with everything you've got. No one can take him or her away from us. No one must hurt him or her. I want you to promise me that no one will know the ugly truth about this baby. No one is allowed to call my child a bastard because his or her father isn't known. Till forever ends, this child is solely mine alone and I gladly give you all rights as it's father no matter who says anything in the future. Promise me just this one thing. That to your best of strengths you'll protect our child today, tomorrow, whenever. Promise me."