Chapter 20

Salam.
So I didn't want to update but I thought I at least owed you guys a chapter before I go back to school.
And yes I'm going back to school despite the pandemic. Can you believe that?
And that too in a few weeks. Besides I'm going to write my final exams soon so I will be busy.
Anyways I'm just saying, this could be my last chapter before I go to school. Which I will be back from on September 4. Yaay right.
Anyways let's get on with it.✊🏿

****************************************************

"I don't like this." Zaira complained.

She didn't like the idea of having a random family over for lunch. This was the first time they were hosting a family. So far it was just Nick who had come around a few times but he never stayed long. But this was different. She didn't know them and she didn't feel like sitting down at the table and having small talk with strangers.

So far though, she'd say Karim and her had become...close was over exaggerating the idea. They were...civilized acquaintances. They played video games most of the time and talked about random stuff that had nothing to do with each other. Like yesterday they talked about how footballers were paid too much. Karim thought it was reasonable but she didn't so it led to a small debate. But that was it.

They'd exchange small smiles once a while and that's as far as they had gone. Even though Karim brought the whole idea, it was as if he didn't want to go through with it internally. He hadn't exactly eaten anything she had prepared yet except for an orange juice she had made a few days ago. Let's just say, he looked as if he was scanning the drink first and waited for Zaira to drink hers before he took a sip.

Being civilized didn't mean he trusted her fully yet. Hopefully he wouldn't trust her fully until she left.

Samantha had called again to inform them that the green card alone would need a few months but the citizenship would take two years to get. Karim was not happy with it. But he later found out after she got her green card, they could get divorced. Karim didn't understand how all this had moved from one month to many more months but he was being 'civilized' about it. But somehow he knew something was off somewhere. What? He didn't know exactly.

"You don't need to talk with them. Just be there and smile. So we look happy together. That's all I'm asking." Karim explained.

Zaira groaned and raked her now turned coffee brown hair. Weirdly enough she was actually brunette and Karim would never admit it but it looked nice on her. Better than her rainbow hair. She hadn't dyed it again after the wedding and Karim was happy about it. She wore little to no makeup these days too. Improvement.

"Fine. But..." She smirked and Karim scrunched his eyes in confusion.

She slowly walked to stand by him.

"You. Owe. Me."

"Fine." Karim agreed.

They'd deal with whatever she wanted when the time came.

"Good. I'm going to prepare food for our guests."

Zaira walked down the stairs leaving Karim alone in front of her room.

She still didn't like the idea of guests but she had gotten a 'you owe me' and she was going to use it to her advantage. Marvelous.

~

Ding Dong.

"They're here." Karim announced to Zaira in the kitchen.

"I'm coming." She removed her apron and placed it on the island.

"Remember, we're supposed to be very happy. She's very critical about stuff. She could see right through us." Karim reminded her.

"Fine. Fine. Let's go meet this Wonder Woman and her family. I'm delighted. Ha ha." Zaira said with sarcasm dripping from every word.