Chapter 56

Salam
How's everyone?
Alhamdulilah I hope everyone's good.
Smile. Yes you.🤭😁😁
Enjoy.

******************************************

Dean covered the cars up with the last palm branch. They were leaving the cars behind because it would spark suspicions if they went around town where only rebels would probably own cars. They had reached the red zone and ahead of them was the worst scene most of them had ever seen.

It wasn't as bright as the base was. It was much darker because the air was thick with smog, which was blocking the sun's rays from doing it's job.

Everyone had their noses covered with the keffiyehs around their necks.

Karim could still smell the thick smog but it was better than nothing.

"Now what?" Zain asked the group.

"Let's split into groups of two. One man and a woman so we don't look like a gang. We'll stick close to each other though and walk through town to see if we can pick up anything to help us with finding the informant." Karim suggested.

Dean nodded.

"I'm sticking with Bella."

"No, thanks. I'm going with Zain." Bella walked closer to Zain.

Dean frowned.

"Sister?" Dean asked innocently.

"Karim, come on." Layla pulled Karim along without even asking his opinion.

"Girls, take care of my friends." She called out to them.

"I'm going with Jyra." Tawfiq said.
He remembered her name from last time. She nodded subtly at him.

Dean sighed.

"I guess it's just the four of us. I'll go with you. What's your name?" Dean said to one of the women and walked ahead with her followed by Michael with the other woman.

They were all wearing MOLLE (tactical backpacks) filled with their weapons since the case was too big to be carrying around without raising suspicion.

"So. Zaira." Layla started off.

"From the pieces of information I've heard, you're only married to her because she blackmailed you." She continued.

"I guess."

"And now we are here trying to save your blackmailer. What changed?"

"Change of heart. Even though she had a different goal she still tried to look out for me either way. And I guess my daughter too."

"Besides they were using her so I can't blame her." Karim answered.

He could see his Uncle Zain and Aunt Bella ahead of them.

"Don't you think they'll just give her another reason to betray you?" Layla questioned.

If they did it one time, they could definitely do it again.

"I believe in her. She wouldn't join forces with them."

"Let's hope you're right, Karim. Because if she has moved to the dark again and tries to hurt you... You are well aware I don't hesitate. She'll be on the floor before you can react."

Karim looked at her.

"No. Don't. Please. If she tries to attack me or something she might have her reasons. She shot Dad's arm to save him, remember. She might be forced to do something drastic."

"I don't go back on my words, Karim. I don't care her motives as long as it means she's hurting you or anyone." Layla said flatly.

Karim didn't reply. Apart from her, he knew all of them would shoot her down if she did something wrong. So one way or the other, he had to get to her first.