Chapter 10

Salaam.
Chapter 10✨that was quick right?
I feel so bad for Amira. But we don't know the future.
Anyways let's get on with it.
Presenting...
Chapter 10

************************************

"You are quiet today." Amira noted.

Karim had said not more than 20 words since she saw him at class that morning.

"Huh?" Karim was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't catch what she said.

"You've been zoning in and out since lectures ended." Amira looked at him.

"Oh. I just have a lot on my mind. I'm sorry."

"Is it anything I can help with?"

"I wish you could." Karim sighed.

"Well I hope you clear your mind. I should go." She stood up from the bench.

"Right now? Why?" Karim was confused.

"Yes. I think you need time to yourself to think for a while." She smiled at him.

"No! I'm fine. I just... I just. Will you sit and listen to me? Please?" Karim pleaded.

Amira eyed him skeptically, before agreeing to sit down.
"Fine."

"Thank you. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have this... um...friend, back home." Karim didn't want her to catch on that he was referring to her so he had to be subtle as possible.

"A friend? I see. And what's wrong with your friend?" Amira asked.

"Well. I found out that he's very sick." Karim stressed on the he.

"Oh really? What's wrong with him?"

"Well he has um...Anemia. Yes Anemia." Karim was trying so hard.

"Okay."

"Yes and he doesn't want me to tell anyone that he's sick. He acts like everything is alright." Karim looked at her carefully.

She hadn't changed her expression so she it meant that she didn't realize she was that friend.

"Well what's the name of that friend?"

"His name is... Latif."

"Well is Latif sad?"

"No."

"Depressed?"

"No."

"Does he want to kill himself?"

"No."

"Does he smile all the time?"

"Almost every time I see him he is smiling."

"Is he carefree?"

"Very."

"Let me tell you something Karim. This is the best version of Latifah you can get. Right now, people don't know he's sick so everyone is carefree and crazy around him. They make him laugh and feel good about himself. But trust me, when they find out he's sick it turns into a pity party. Everyone walks on eggshells around him. They are careful not to push him around. They will make him feel like glass that will break at the smallest touch. Everyone keeps apologizing for stuff that's not their fault. Latifah will turn depressed from all that attitude. Feel worthless even. He will rarely smile or even laugh because he will always be reminded that he's sick and might possibly die. When that time comes you'd wish to get back the days when he laughed at your not so funny jokes."