Chapter 69

Zaira opened the door to Tawfiq's office. Hopefully he was there.

She stepped inside to see him looking through a file at the opposite end of the office behind his desk.

Tawfiq rose his head to see Zaira and arched a brow in a questioning manner.

"Can I come in?" She asked him.
It was a dumb question since she was already in but she wanted permission before getting any closer.

"Umm Yhh sure. Take a seat." Tawfiq offered her a seat.

She walked inside further and sat down in front of the desk.

"Thank you."

Tawfiq nodded and kept on looking at her.

She wasn't saying anything either.

"Did you come to speak with me?" Tawfiq questioned.

"Uh yes. But if you're busy I can come later." Zaira stood up.

"I'm not busy. We can talk now if you want." Tawfiq gestured her back to sit down.

Zaira slowly sat back down.

She exhaled.

"Is something bothering you here?" Tawfiq asked.

"No. Everything is great here. I just...when did you meet Karim's mother?" Zaira said out of nowhere.

Tawfiq looked at her weirdly. Was that what she wanted to talk about? Tawfiq could tell she had something more important to ask than his love story so he indulged her. Maybe she wanted to get comfortable first.

"Senior year of high school. I had seen her a couple of times before but it was in senior year we finally met."

"And you've been with her ever since?" Zaira continued to ask.

"Well, in a way. We were just friends then and still friends when we went to university. In the first year of university, I proposed to her twice and she rejected me in both instances." Tawfiq chuckled at the memory.

Zaira's eyes widened.

"She rejected you!? That wasn't in your book." Zaira revealed.

"You've read on me?" Tawfiq placed a hand under his chin.

Zaira felt herself turning red.

"A bit." She managed to say.

"Don't worry. I understand. But you don't expect me to put every single detail of my life in a book. And it wasn't a rejection per say. She was just putting me off."

"Why would she put you off? You were a prince and a handsome one at that. That's jackpot. She had hit a goldmine." Zaira chuckled.

"She didn't know I was a prince then. And she wasn't one to be easily moved just by handsomeness."

"Then why did she put you off?"

"She said she wanted to finish school first. I didn't understand her notion though. We could be married and finish school too. And besides she had let out she had feelings for me. So what if after she had finished uni we both didn't fancy each other any more. Or worse one of us didn't like the other anymore. That would have been a hard blow." Tawfiq said to her.

"So you waited by her side all that time?" Zaira was surprised.

"I clearly was the one who couldn't control myself so I had to step back a bit. We rarely talked or saw each other even though we were in the same state."

"You let her go for 3 years!? She could have fallen in love with someone else. Even I would have. Especially if I realized you weren't around me anymore." Zaira was confused.