Chapter 39

Edits by Naravil

"Lao Ji, what are you thinking so hard on?" Dong Li patted Ji Yan's shoulder and then sat down beside him.

Silently, Ji Yan stared into the distance.

Dong Li smiled and lit a cigarette for himself before holding another cigarette out for Ji Yan, "You've got something on your mind for the past few days ..."

Ji Yan took the offered cigarette and put it in between his lips before taking the lighter from Dong Li to light the cigarette. He breathed in deeply and then exhaled slowly as he made a ring of smoke.

"Lao Ji, I haven't seen you smoke in a long time. Previously, you always smoked whenever you were worried about Xiao Zhuo; however, you haven't smoked since Tang Tang and Xiao Zhuo moved here. I almost thought you had quit smoking."

No one would have thought that the outstanding and self-disciplined Ji Yan, who always achieved great results, and was often used as an example by other parents, had actually started smoking at the age of fifteen. Also, he was a heavy smoker who could smoke two packs of cigarettes in a day, which continued until Xiao Zhuo was born. For the child's health, Ji Yan rarely smoked. He would occasionally smoke one when he was worried about Xiao Zhuo as he couldn't go back because of missions. When Tang Tang and Xiao Zhuo moved to the military compound, Ji Yan had practically quit smoking. This was the first time he smoked since they moved.

It was clear that something was troubling him.

Ji Yan tapped the cigarette, "It's nothing."

Dong Li didn't believe him. Seeing that Ji Yan didn't want to speak, Dong Li made a guess, "Did you and Tang Tang have an argument? Did it get particularly bad?"

Ji Yan smoked the cigarette again.

Noticing that his guess seemed to be correct, Ding Li couldn't help to be curious, "Did you really have an argument? But that shouldn't be right, ah, the current Tang Tang is so well behaved, and she spoils you like you're her treasure. How can she be willing to argue with you? I think you're the one who put on an emotionless face."

Dong Li didn't have anything nice to say about the past Tang Tang, but she was just like mochi now. She was virtuous and obedient, and she practically spoiled Ji Yan to the heavens. Would she be willing to argue with Ji Yan? It was impossible.

Ji Yan shot a glance at him and indifferently said, "Don't make random guesses. It's not what you're thinking. We're fine."

Naturally, Dong Li didn't believe Ji Yan's words. He thought it was most likely that Ji Yan hadn't truly forgiven Tang Tang's past actions. Dong Li couldn't help and advised, "Lao Ji, ah, let go of the past. The present and the future is more important. Since she has lost her memories, you shouldn't keep hold of the past. She's very good now and puts her heart on you and Xiao Zhuo. You should be a bit more lenient on her. We, men, shouldn't bicker with women."

Ji Yan cast a dull side glance at Dong Li, "Where have you seen me not letting go of the past?"

After thinking for a moment, Dong Li thought that what Ji Yan said was true. Ji Yan wouldn't fuss over everything with women, but he just didn't know how to get along with women. Ji Yan always had a scary face on, so even if he had let go of the past, Tang Tang would think that he hadn't let go.

"Since you're not going to fuss over the past, then live well with Tang Tang. Treat her better. Women need to be pampered. If you don't treat her well, how can she devote herself to you?"

Even though Dong Li was not married, he had plenty of experience in relationships. He understood how men and women should get along, and that was why Ji Yan didn't treat Dong Li's words like nonsense.