Chapter 57

Edits by Vesper

Tang Tang assumed Ji Yan got delayed by something at work, so she placed all the food in a pot to maintain its temperature as she carried on waiting for him. But by 9 pm, when Ji Xiao Zhuo was starving, Ji Yan still hadn't returned.

Covering his rumbling stomach, Ji Xiao Zhuo slowly squirmed around on the floor. He reached his arm out, powerless, and said, "Mummy, why hasn't daddy returned yet? I'm starving."

Wen Nuo, who had been eating dinner at their home every night, was also hungry but she didn't whine like Ji Xiao Zhuo. Instead, she was sitting still silently while covering her own tummy. Her appearance looked even more pitiful than Ji Xiao Zhuo.

Tang Tang was getting anxious but her heart hurt from seeing the children starving like this. So she came to a decision, "Daddy must have gotten delayed by something. Let's eat first. We'll save some food for daddy to eat later."

Ji Xiao Zhuo hesitated as he covered his tummy and shook his head determinedly, "Let's wait for daddy. Maybe daddy is coming home right now."

Tang Tang carried both children to the table before bringing the food out from the kitchen, "It's alright. Our neighbor, Uncle Zhang Cheng, also hasn't come back yet. He and daddy must have something important to do and they'll probably have something to eat from the canteen tonight, so let's eat first."

Hearing Tang Tang's words, the two children finally picked up their chopsticks and started to wolf down their food. They ate with more relish than usual. It was obvious they were both starving. Tang Tang was also hungry but she couldn't eat much as she was feeling worried. After all, there wasn't any news about Ji Yan.

At this moment, a knocking sound was heard from the main door. Tang Tang got startled. She immediately put down her chopsticks and rushed to the door. Originally, she thought Ji Yan was back but it turned out that it wasn't him. The person outside was a young soldier who she did not recognize.

The young soldier gave Tang Tang a salute and told her the reason for his arrival, "Sao Zi, I'm a subordinate under Commander Ji. He got me to inform you that he's going on a mission. He also said he won't be back for some time and you should look after yourself and the children."

"Out on a mission?" Tang Tang was at loss. Since they started living here, this was her first time hearing about Ji Yan going on a mission. Usually, he would leave early and return late but she thought soldiers would just do training every day. So she was rather surprised when she heard about a mission.

The young soldier explained, "Sao Zi, Commander Ji also wanted to come back and tell you personally but the mission was urgent. He was busy with strategizing and deploying that he didn't have the time to eat dinner. He, and his men, had just been picked up by the helicopter. There was really no time to come back so he could only let me inform you."

Tang Tang was very worried. She quickly inquired, "Where did they go? Is it dangerous? Did they say when they'll be back?"

The young soldier felt awkward, "Sorry, Sao Zi. That's confidential military information. We cannot let outsiders know. I also don't know about the details in full. Only the people on the mission are aware."

Tang Tang could only swallow down the rest of her questions. She smiled and thanked the young soldier.

When the young soldier finished speaking with Tang Tang, he went to the opposite apartment and knocked on Zhang Cheng's door. He only knocked once and the door immediately opened. Anxiously, Fang Yu Wei asked the young soldier, "Where's Zhang Cheng?"

In response, the young soldier repeated what he just said to Tang Tang to Fang Yu Wei. After listening to his words, Fang Yu Wei's was also filled with worry. Her frown was tenser than Tang Tang.