Fifty Four

Namjoon was waiting in the lecture room. Jungkook glanced at him while Hoseok was drinking from his teapot. 

"Don't you think you should give them some time?" asked Jungkook.

"You think time's gonna wait for them?" Hoseok replied. Jungkook sighed. 

"They have to learn to cope quickly or they won't be able to survive in this world. Jungkook, have you gone soft?" Namjoon smiled at Jungkook gingerly. 

Before Jungkook could reply, the door opened and the boys entered one by one. As usual, they sat down their seats. Chanhee stared at the empty seat beside Haknyeon. Sunwoo noticed and snaked his hands into Chanhees', acting oblivious when Chanhee looked up at him.

"Unfortunate news has occurred recently. I know each and everyone of you are affected by Hwall's sudden death. We pray and hope Hwall gets to a better place." Namjoon said. 

A short solemn silence ensured.

"But that is also the reason we can't stop." Namjoon continued, "Now, we know what kind of person Minister Lee is. And how he goes about his plans. I dare say this incident has given you more drive to fight against him. This upcoming lunar celebration at the palace might also be a battleground prepared by him."

"Battle?" Haknyeon breathed out. His hands started trembling at the thought. 

"In the past, Minister Lee personally chose his Majesty to sit on the throne. I expect he wanted to possess full control of the country, making His Majesty a puppet. But Yoongi had other ideas. he did not yield to Minister Lee's threats and now Minister Lee is finding a way to replace him. But what we don't know is who he has in mind for the throne. He had been hiding that person for a long time now." 

Joonyoung noticed Sangyeon flinch the slightest in his seat. He furrowed his forehead, thinking for a while. Then it hit him. 

"Sangyeon, is there something you haven't told us yet?" he asked, quietly. 

Sangyeon swallowed hard at the stares he received. Hyunjae also looked at him, knowingly. The two brothers nodded in acknowledgement then turned to the front again. 

"Father has been nurturing a person for the throne. But he changed his minds a few times before settling on one person."

"Who is it?" Jungkook asked. Hoseok quirked his brow at Sangyeon's words, sipping his teapot. 

"Is it one of your brothers?" He asked. 

Everyone turned to the three brothers in surprise. But what was more surprising was that Juyeon was also confused at the words. 

"He wanted to make us King?" Juyeon asked. 

"It was Sangyeon at first," Hyunjae started, "But then, Father felt threatened by him even though Sangyeon was obedient to every order Father had. I guess he could sense Sangyeon had been pretending the whole time or he was afraid what Sangyeon was capable of." 

"Yes. So, he brought in Hyunjae. Hyunjae was a perfect candidate for him to control since his status was..... unstable." Sangyeon said. 

"But then why did he try to kill Hyunjae?" Sunwoo asked. 

Sangyeon and Hyunjae glanced at each other, cautiously.

"Father soon changed his mind. Hyunjae was too rebellious and out of his control. He could beat and torture Hyunjae all he wanted but Hyunjae was too stubborn and never yielded. He wasn't ideal for a puppet." 

"Then... that leaves...Juyeon?" Hyungseo stared at Juyeon who looked equally confused. 

"But- but he never said anything to me." Juyeon stuttered, taking in the fact he was a candidate for the throne.