Seven

Haknyeon looked between Hyunjae and Hwall as they walked back to Lee residence. It was weird for Hyunjae to not be talkative and for Hwall, he was usually quiet but it was still strange. Haknyeon said goodbye to the two when they went into Lee residence.

Once they walked in the main door, Hwall bowed to Hyunjae and went off immediately. Hyunjae also absentmindedly waved him off and walked away to his chamber. He stopped by the pond and stared at the moonlight refelction in it for a while. There's no way the world was that small, right? But the way Hyungseo drew the portrait just seemed familiar and reminded him of that little boy he saw 10 years ago. Oh, he forgot to ask Sunwoo about the handkerchief, too.

"Have you thought about it?" Hyunjae didn't look at Sangyeon as he came to stand beside him.

"Aren't you too impatient?" He put his hands behind him.

"It's better to get it done quickly. The faster you accept, the faster we can start the operation."

"....."

"Juyeon said he'll do it if you accept too. So, think about it well and fast." Sangyeon made to leave when,

"I'll give you an answer."

"....."

"After three days. I'll have my answer ready after three days."

Hyunjae continued to stare at the pond. Sangyeon nodded and walked away.

"Come on! You can do it!" Younghoon kept on cheering Youngjae who was trying his best. Youngjae squeezed his eyes shut and exerted all his energy. He tried and tried and....... yelled.

"Ahhhhh I hate this." He dropped bottoms down and sulked. Younghoon and Joonyoung looked at him pitifully.

"It's ok. It takes time to be able to fully transform." He patted Youngjae's shoulders, giving him a warm smile.

"But, I thought I was good at learning....why can't I learn the one important thing essential for a gumiho but know all those petty tricks." He huffed. He was mad at himself and the two older foxes noticed.

"Youngjae, nobody is good at everything. It may take time but you'll get the hang of it." Joonyoung said. Chanhee and Changmin got back from picking berries at that moment.

It had been a couple of nights after they last went down to the capital. It was good for them not to have a lot of exposure with humans. Joonyoung decided the interactions they had the past few days were enough. He didn't want to risk knowing more about them or any more humans.

"Changmin, I'm gonna run tonight, wanna come?" Younghoon said as he helped Changmin with the berry basket. Changmin shook his head.

"Nah, I don't wanna go again after today's berry picking. And also, I just ran, like, a day ago." Younghoon frowned then turned to Chanhee. Chanhee thought for a while and nodded.

"Sure, it's been weeks since I ran." Younghoon nodded excitedly.

"I wanna run with you guys too....." Youngjae slumped down his head and pouted.

"He still hasn't succeeded yet?" Changmin asked Younghoon quietly. Younghoon shook his head.

Gumihos are, of course, nine-tailed foxes. But it takes time for them to be able to completely transform into their fox counterpart. After the gumiho is successful at that, he or she can transform into any living being they wish. Their power can continue to improve as long as they consume human liver. But Joonyoung, Chanhee, Changmin, Youngjae, and Younghoon only consume human liver a few times a year when Joonyoung goes by the morgue to collect them.