Fifty Five

Slowly, the day for the Lunar celebration approached. This only fueled the Hwarang's determination. Not a day passed without a gruesome training by Jungkook. But none of them complained. 

In addition to the new information on a gumiho's ability to soul suck, Hoseok gave them more knowledge in his lectures.

They had already been practicing with the imoogi orb coated weapons created specifically for these kind of battles. The purpose of an imoogi orb wasn't only to consume a fox marble.

"You mean that wretched ball does more than eat?" Haknyeon asked in disbelief.

Even the gumihos seemed confused at this new information. Well, it was also their first time learning about the weapons as well.

"Oh, there's a reason why we made hunting imoogis a competition. Those orbs do so much more. As you all know the orb, once embedded into the heart of a gumiho, absorbs its energy and drains the fox marble. The gumiho then disappears."

Joonyoung cast his eyes down, remembering how Hyunjoon had dispersed into nothing that night. A hand squeezed his thighs, comfortingly. Joonyoung smiled as he recognized Sangyeon's hands. 

"But what effect does it have on humans? Have you thought about that?" Hoseok said. 

"Doesn't it absorb human souls?" Changmin asked. But he earned a shake of the head. 

"Since a human's energy is of no use for the imoogi. No, it doesn't suck its soul." Hoseok answered.

"Then... what?" Youngjae voiced the question everyone had in their minds.

"Instead of sucking the soul like a gumiho, the imoogi's orb consumes it." Hoseok said. 

"Consume.....?" Hyunjae trailed off in confusion. Wasn't it the same?

"They consume the whole body and mind... and they turn the human into one of them... don't they?" Chanhee said, uncertain of his own words but they seemed plausible. 

Hoseok nodded, confirming his suspicions. This earned different reactions.

"Wait, so we gotta fight gumihos and be careful not to get stabbed by those orbs!?" Hyungseo said, unintentionally emitting a high voice. 

"But that doesn't mean the human dies, right?" Juyeon asked. 

"Right, he turns to an imoogi so that means he's still alive!" Youngjae said brightly.

"Maybe I should get stabbed so I turn into one." Haknyeon said to himself but got pinched by both Youngjae and Sunwoo. He grinned at the two sheepishly. 

"The human is alive, physiologically, that is." Hoseok said.

"Physiologically? What do you mean?" Sunwoo asked.

"The whole body gets consumed by the orb, including the mind. So once the human turns, he will have no memory of being the person he was before. Instead, he'll turn into one of the imoogis you fought in the mountains." 

Chanhee frowned at the thought. That was... sad. 

"Ok, scratch what I said before." Haknyeon added in a hurry.

"We'll just have to be careful not to get stabbed." Sangyeon said. 

"But make sure to stab the others. I would prefer to death but that's up to you." Hoseok said, nonchalantly. 

The last night before the day of the festival arrived. The past two weeks seemed like a blur. 

It only seemed like days ago when Yoongi had sent them a letter requesting a dance performance. It only seemed like yesterday when they struggled with the stunt routine. It only seemed like hours ago when Hyunjoon was laughing and grumbling together with them.