The Calm Before the Storm (Prologue)

You had almost everything a kid could wish for. A loving and happy family that loved you so much. Every day after his work your dad would come and give you a kiss on the head whether he came early in the morning or right on time for dinner he made sure to greet you. He was quirkless and figured you would be too since you were almost seven with no quirk. You wanted to grow to be an undercover spy like him that still helped others no matter what.

Your mom had the quirk of the four elements, though hers weren't as strong to make her a pro hero but strong enough to be a ridealong for multiple pro heroes. She was caring and so lovely to you. Would always hum to you or hold you when you needed it the most. You definitely got her hot head personality from her, but still had some of your dad's caring sweet side.

It was the calm before the storm.

When you got your quirk you were so happy. It was so powerful for someone your age. Your dad was unsure about it but your mother assured you would grow to be a powerful pro. You would go practice in the backyard creating small storms that will fill your backyard.

It was quite the routine until you accidentally shocked your father, causing him to faint. That was the first wall in your relationship. You were little you didn't know any better he had to understand that right?

As your quirk grew to be powerful the distance between you and him did the same. You noticed how he would flinch when you would accidentally go out of control of your small storms. He had little patience with you practicing and it started to tear the family.

Your mom insisted that you were fine, you're tough you could handle anything. They had more petty arguments that always led to you. Your quirk was starting to get out of hand you nearly killed that one squirrel in the backyard what if that was him? Why couldn't your mom understand that as a quirkless man he was at the mercy of you? He never did like quirks, to begin with, anyway, he wanted them gone. Erased.

"Do you hear yourself?!?" Your mom screamed in the kitchen, waking you from your nap. "You just called your child a monster!"

"She's a weapon! A threat! She can easily wipe out half of Japan without breaking a sweat can't you see that!" your father screamed in her face. You have never seen him so unhinged, what was wrong with him. This definitely wasn't him. Where was he?

"She's just a kid! Not one of your damn enemies!" She shoved him out of her space.

"Mommy? Daddy? W-what are you talking about," you said softly, pulling your fingers while turning the corner to face them.

"Get away from me!" he screamed holding a hand out. He turned to grab his keys pushing you off to the side to leave. Your mother grabbed your hand before you fell dragging you to the front door to stop him.

"Get back here you can't just leave this family because you're scared! Look at her she's just a kid! A damn child! Your child!" She cried out.

"That is no child of mine," he growled out while staring at you with such intensity. If looks could kill it would be a major crime scene. "That is a damn monster from hell!" He turned away to pick his phone up texting a random number, "We need to rid her of that quirk!"

"Daddy I-I don't understand why are you leaving me?" you whimpered.

"L/n," he bit.

You titled your head, "L/n?" He never called you that. It was always cute little nicknames that you loved so much.

"L/n you are no child of mine, you are a monster."

"You're driving this family apart!" Your mother screamed, stomping over to him.

"NO I'M NOT SHE IS YOU DAMN BITCH LOOK AT HER!" he grabbed her head causing a pained cry out from your mother. You didn't realize it but faint lightning danced around you as you looked at the horror in front of you.

"STOP IT DON'T TOUCH HER!" You cried out running towards them.

"SHUT UP!" he yelled throwing your mother into the wall creating a crater of where her head had hit. He stomped over to her to look at the damage. His eyes widen as they flashed the emotion of satisfaction.

"STOP!" you cried out running towards her limp body. "MOMMY?!?"

You couldn't wrap your head around it. You were so scared. What happened to the dad that would kiss the top of your head or take you on quick night rides and made you promise not to tell your mom he allowed you to have ice cream so late at night. Why was he now hovering over her unconscious body and stumbling over to you.

The crazed look in his eyes sent chills up your spine. You had to calm yourself. The last time you got worked up you blew the power of your house. When he accidentally scared you, you sent ice to his feet that almost froze them off. He had to let you calm down he knew this but why is he reaching for you now with a fist behind him.

Before the fist could connect to your face, hot air emerged from your body burning his hand on impact. He stumbled back. Why did he hit your mom? She did nothing but stand up for you. Why was this all because of you? Why did this anger you that your loved one was threatening to leave?

He ran towards you, knife in hand that he swiped from the counter. You sent lightning towards him with a punch as the house shook from the impact of your air. He wanted a monster and this was what he got.

Glowing eyes as you hovered above the ground. Rain and hot air circled you as you went towards him.

The next thing you could remember was flashes of a man carrying your father out of the door, you looked and saw your mom still unconscious before passing out again. The whole neighborhood heard the chaos and you both were sent into the hospital. Your old house was gone, destroyed. The roof was completely blown away by some force as the walls were soaked and crumbling. Everything was gone, along with the innocence of your childhood.

You were only nine.

After the incident, everything changed. Your mom resented you for everything. The thoughts that her husband put in her head clearly worked. She spent her days locked into her room or picking up any work shift just to avoid coming home to a monster of a child. You don't blame her, so you stayed to keep the family you had left safe no matter how much she reminded you how everything was your fault.

This storm was your fault. The chaos. The destruction.

Why did you have to be born with such destruction? You could make it work you can prove to him how heroic it is. You would have too.