The Revealing Change

A/N: Heavy foreshadowing in this chapter!

Warning: A bit angsty but nothing too bad.

Regret.

The feeling that burned the most no matter how many times you pulled out an extinguisher to destroy the flames that hurt when your mind replayed the events that happened the previous day, it still came back. Stronger.

You still heard her in your mind. Could see the fear and regret in her wide red eyes. Still felt her trembling hand gripping onto you, feeling the same cold hand glide against your warm skin as she ran back into the arms of someone who only harmed her. Still heard the trembling in her voice as she pleaded for you to keep her safe.

Yet you couldn't. Not yet at least.

Everyone does something they regret at least once in their life, wished over and over to undo what they once did or to do what they never had the chance to do. Those regrets can become a part of you along with everything else that life rains down upon you. And the more time you spend dwelling on the past events as you tried to change what happened, well it was like chasing the clouds you caused the previous day.

You knew you didn't have to be defined by the incident, still, you allowed that feeling to control you the previous day just as Izuku had done the same.

Spent the entire day quiet, kept to himself as you both returned to the dorms, absolutely feeling sick to your stomach as it replayed over and over in your head of letting Eri go.

It wasn't until Izuku waited until you both reached your room, waiting to hear the door click as you locked it until he allowed himself to cry. Tears and rain that stuck to his damp hair rolling down his face as his body trembled. Mumbling words on how he should've kept her, should've saved her, should've been stronger, and stood his ground as he sobbed.

You immediately grabbed ahold of him, your own tears rolling down your face as you cried softly. Your body clashing on his as you wrapped your arms around him until you two fell on the ground, holding onto each other as you both wept, yet you still tried to keep a brave face and whisper soothing words to him when he got choked up on his own sobs.

When you both finally contained yourselves you two got ready for bed as you did his own nightly routine for him since he didn't have the energy nor will to do it himself. Washed and conditioned his hair, cleaned his face and body, helped him get dressed as you allowed him to talk about whatever he needed to get past the situation.

During school, he remained quiet, more in his head as the day went by. Accidentally letting his tears fall during lunch in front of Todoroki and Iida as you just told them that the work studies were getting to you two. Todoroki being the kind soul that he is offered the boy his favorite food while Iida encouraged you both to the best of his abilities. Todoroki also offered to lend you his father's card again but you politely declined and took some of his soba instead.

It was rough. Very rough. Still you two pushed through the strong winds, shielding your faces to get through the next obstacle ahead.

***

"We've got idiots fighting non-stop on the streets these days. Can't eat enough to keep up," Fatgum called out, stuffing his face with some food he had received from a passing restaurant as you, him, Tamaki, and Kirishima walked through the streets during the night.

It was your first patrol with them as you tried to keep your mind focused ahead of you and not on the past. Your meeting with Fatgum was something that gave you a genuine smile. He raved on and on about how happy he was to have another kid under his wing. He was truly kind just like Izuku said he was, and quite the hugger.