Chapter 121

~A~ 

A January of emailing... 

~ ~ ~ ~ 

Dear Mr. Jones,

Congratulations!

Your design has been approved for our business venture.

We're intrigued to see what you come up with in your finished plans. We understand that you'll be using the plans for your final project this year and we are anxiously awaiting the news of your graduation from the University of Chicago's architecture department.

We would like to issue an employment offer.

We hope that you are just as invested in the plans you are drawing up and creating as we are. Would you consider coming onboard to see the project through to completion?

We would like to remain in touch along every step you need to take to finalize the plans, consider it as a means to work one on one with a customer to fully achieve what they want in the final product.

We'd like to take a moment to paint the picture and share the anticipated timeline for full completion.

We realize your project is due for final grading at the end of April. We'd like to have conversations on a biweekly basis about your progress to ensure that everything is going smoothly. Realistically, we would love to see you join us in Charleston by the end of July, have you walk the property and get a full picture of what we'll be working with. We have no problem with demolition. There is a building already on the site, and it fits the specs we provided so if we wanted to, we could gut it and rebuild from the outside in and create the space you're designing.

However, upon the inspections we've completed, we have reason to expect that we won't be able to utilize the existing structure which means we can give more thought to actual building placement, parking and landscaping. Do you happen to know of someone that would be appropriate to bring onboard for a landscaping contract?

If demolition is required, we expect to have the permits in place and demolition started by the end of August, allowing for initial work to begin by the end of September. The full concept won't be finished until late Spring as we would expect to suspend operations for most of the Holiday season from mid-November to early January. Our equipment expert will not provide the final details until the end of January to ensure that the correct equipment and appliances are obtained. The incoming business for the space would be on track to open in early July.

Are you willing and able to commit to this timeframe? This would be a firm employment offer for minimum one year and if all goes well and as planned, we may have additional opportunities for you as upcoming projects. As well as opportunities for anyone else that you bring with you, such as the landscaping contract.

We have a proposal for payment that we hope you'll consider. We would absolutely be willing to provide you a salary equal to what we are offering. As you know, the work you are doing for us now basically equates to an unpaid internship and we would not actually be providing you with a salary until you arrived and were employed in July. We have the means to provide you with property. In exchange for your employment, we will provide medical coverages as well as payment into a 401K, a piece of property and the necessary supplies required for you to build a house of your own design. We would arrange the construction crew and pay for the labor required to build the house. We would anticipate that you would be able to have your house completed before the work starts on the business site in September, provided that you draw up and provide the plans and building supplies needed prior to your arrival in July. We are willing to begin the build on your house and development of your property prior to arrival.