Chapter 55

We ended up stopping for ice cream on the way home and sitting out on the back patio, talking and well, kissing until late and he had to rush off because he had a string of places to work on the next day and he wanted to finish before it got too hot.

We talked for a while once he got home but then everything got crazy busy. I met up with him a few times during the week because I found out where he was and went to meet him at his job with lunch. It was a needed break for both of us and kept us from burning out on long make-out sessions.

Ha.

Yeah, well, it was fine. It worked out great.

Friday night, after I'd finished all the dessert prep that I could possibly do before my weekend of catering gigs took over my life, we went out for a drive and stumbled on an art festival a few towns over, complete with rides, games and food trucks. It was fun. It was nice, walking around with his arm around me and my arm around his waist... sharing funnel cakes and churros.

Cinnamon sugar kisses rank right up there on my top kisses ever.

Not that there was that much of a list seeing as there was the one and done losers... who'd really never dared to kiss me, Zack and now Tony. Good thing I hated math and numbers. I'd be more than discouraged about my kissing history or lack thereof. We headed back to Charleston well before my curfew or need to call my mom to tell her I'd be late because frankly, I was exhausted and my mind was skipping ahead to all that I'd have to do tomorrow with the wedding dessert bar I was catering instead of shutting down and letting me just focus on being with Tony and enjoying our time together.

"I'm sorry." I said softly when he pulled his truck into our driveway.

"For what, love?" He turned off the engine and turned to face me.

"For being preoccupied and distracted." I said with a shrug. "I really did have a good time tonight even if I didn't seem to be."

He chuckled. "I'm glad. And don't be sorry. I know you had business on your mind. You have a busy couple of days coming up." He took my hand, his palm meeting mine as he held it, his thumb rubbing a comforting circle on the back of it. "I fully expected you to be a little out there today." He admitted.

I smiled slightly. "That transparent, hmm?"

"No, just attentive to making sure your customers get the best that you can give them. I get that." He said, leaning over to kiss me gently.

I raised my free hand to rest it on his cheek as I kissed him back. "Thank you." I murmured when he pulled away and rested his forehead against mine.

"You're welcome." He said, caressing my face gently with his free hand before tucking a few rebellious strands of hair back behind my ear again. "I should let you go in. I know your day will start early tomorrow."

"Not super early, just early enough that I'll go for a run and compose my to-do list." I said.

"Still, early enough." Tony said. "And you let me know Sunday night when you're free and I will be over to whisk you away from your stress and help you decompress."

"I really like the sound of that." I said. "Sunday's a double header event day."

He smirked. "I know." He said softly, kissing my forehead.

"Oh, are you free Wednesday? Mom's off and I'd like to invite you to dinner. She wants to spend a little more time getting to know you."

"I am absolutely able to be at dinner." He said. "You want to feed me, I'm here." He laughed.