Chapter 95

"Hey, pretty lady."

I looked up and smiled at Josh as he walked up and slid an arm around me as I waited for him outside of Glazed. "Hey, yourself, hot cop." I leaned into him and kissed him lightly.

"How's your week going?" he asked, opening the door for us. I paused as I walked in, inhaling the wonderful, sugary, yeasty scent of all things doughnut. His hand slid back to rest at the base of my spine.

"So far, so good. I'm caught up on everything for my jobs this weekend and it's only Wednesday morning."

"It's probably really nice to be ahead of the game." He commented as we got in line to place our order.

"Oh, it's great. I'll just have the few things that can't be done too far ahead of time. Like frosting and sprinkling cupcakes." I said. "I'm going out on a limb today." I mused, eyeing the menu.

"Oh?" Josh eyed me. "Time to try the sweet corn blueberry?"

I nodded. "and the beet salad." I said. "I'm going to get Luke the butter digits and the caramel corn bar."

"And the chocolate sprinkle and baked banana for your mom." He grinned when my eyebrows shot up. "What? I told her I'd make sure she had doughnuts."

I smiled. "Yes, yes you did. And I haven't had those yet." I said, stepping up to place my order for the doughnuts and coffee.

"Chocolate mint and white chocolate mint please." Josh said, adding a black coffee and paying for the order.

I went to snag a table, grabbing some napkins, while he waited for our four to-go doughnuts to be boxed up. I made a note in my phone about boxes for my business. Yes, I'd need them later when I was back from Paris, but I'd also started thinking it was good advertising if I had marked boxes available at events.

It didn't happen often but on occasion, there were a lot of leftovers and my customers wanted to send them home with their guests. I mean, they did pay for everything I brought with me, so they should do what they want with the food. And I really should start capitalizing on the opportunity for free advertising.

"So...?" Josh raised an eyebrow at me as he sat down and placed the tray of food between us, setting the box on the spare chair. "Are we still on for dancing Saturday night?"

I grinned at him. "Absolutely." I nodded. "I'm pretty sure I have just the shoes."

"You did promise me stilettos." He grinned.

"That I did." I nodded, studying my doughnut choices. "Have you tried these before?"

"No..." He shook his head. "And they're all yours too."

"Gee, thanks." I shook my head and laughed. "You need a balance of vegetables in your diet, you know. I know... I know." I raised a hand. "You're a cop and you live on coffee, doughnuts and fast food. Which means, you probably should get in to veggie doughnuts."

"I like carrot cake." He said, frowning. "That's as far as it'll go for veggies in sweets for me, sweetie." He smiled when I laughed and cut me off a sample of his doughnuts. "Maybe you should try those last." He passed them over.

"Why?"

"Because I'm not sure I want to kiss you with beet or corn custard still on your lips. The mint might do a lot for you as far as cleansing your palate before kissing me." He teased.

I rolled my eyes. "You're terrible. I should just eat them now and refuse to kiss you after but there's no sense in punishing myself."

He studied me for a moment before drinking some coffee. "True. That would be terrible for you." He said, solemnly. "You know, because I'm such a great kisser and all."