Chapter 116

Summer was passing by in a blur. We’d both been busy with work and when we weren’t working, we were still taking advantage of our Disney annual passes as well as our close proximity to several bistros and cafes near our flat. Evenings out at a bistro with a bottle of wine and a bread and cheese plate were starting to become a staple of life.  

It was quite fun to be under the stars and free to kiss or hold hands whenever we wanted to because that’s just how we roll.  

I was working on a cake, eyeing the package that had arrived from home that morning when Cam came in. “Hey.” He grinned at me.  

“Hey, yourself.” I said, glancing at him for a long moment before transferring my attention back to piping perfect buttercream roses.  

“Bored?” he asked, bending to scoop up Eiffel as she greeted him by winding around his ankles.  

“No, why?”  

“You don’t normally make fancy cakes at home.” He said, walking over to the fridge, pausing to drop a kiss on my cheek.  

I shrugged. “Needed some practice and my birthday cake seemed to be a good place to grab some practice.”  

He paused, fridge half open before he looked at me, staring. “Your birthday?”  

I nodded, snipping the rose off the nail and placing it on the cake where I wanted it. “Yeah… strange thing, keeps happening every year.” I wiped my tools off and picked up the piping bag again to start another rose.  

“Your birthday.” He stated again, grabbing a beer before letting the fridge door shut. 

I stared at him. “Yes, Cam, my birthday is this week.”  

“You never said.” He finally mumbled, dropping his gaze.  

I frowned. “Have we honestly never talked about birthdays? I’m surprised. And apparently sorry because I had no idea that you didn’t know. Not that you had to know, I don’t expect anything, honest.”  

He scowled at that statement. “But you should expect things.” He said. “It’s a big birthday.”  

“Not so big here.” I laughed. “At home, yes. It’s big because I’d finally be old enough to drink and go to a casino but here? Drinking age seems like it’s ten so I’ve been drinking the whole time I’ve been here.”  

“I suppose.” He said, perching on one of the high chairs at the bar, drinking his beer and holding the cat. “What day?” He asked.  

“Thursday.” I said, after placing the next rose on the cake.  

“Two days notice.” He mumbled. “We’re going to Disney this weekend then.” He said.  

“Yes, we were already doing that. There’s reservations.” I commented, grabbing the green piping bag and placing some leaves around the bunch of roses I’d piped.  

“Good.” He said.  

“I have a package from home and a cake. Cam, I swear it’s fine.”  

He shook his head. “Not good enough. You’ve got regular day at the patisserie?”  

“Yes, bread and macarons wait for no woman when it’s her birthday.” I wrinkled my nose at him and pouted.