Chapter 76

I studied myself with a critical eye as I finished getting ready to meet Pete for coffee. I tilted my head slightly and reached up to adjust the ponytail on the top of my head. Slightly smokey eye, contacts today and I was pleased as I applied a peachy lip stain to my lips. I'd also gone with skinny jeans tucked into my high brown boots, peach long sleeved lacy top over a cream camisole with a tan jacket that matched my boots.

I exhaled slowly and made a new vow to find a yoga class somewhere.

Surely there was something that could be done about the nerves. And I could use a little core centering. I slid a pair of sunglasses on the top of my head and grabbed my keys and bag so that I could leave and not be late. I hated being late. Mostly because I didn't like to keep people waiting and there was nothing worse that I could imagine was waiting for someone to show up for a first date.

There.

I'd said it.

First date.

There was no use fooling myself into thinking it was anything different. This wasn't really just coffee, this was a date.

I headed out to my car. Mom was working today but she knew my plans so I didn't leave a note. I made good time across town and found a great parking spot just down the street from Vintage. I locked the car and slung my bag over my shoulder before making my way into the coffee shop.

It was amazing. I couldn't help but stare at how they had things set up and I knew that I really would need to talk to the owners at some point to get some tips about setting up my future business. I glanced around, relieved to see that Pete wasn't waiting on me. I debated ordering my food and coffee because well, it was a date but surely Dutch treat for the first date was okay, right?

Then again, he was Academy and I was aware of it.

My experience with Academy boys was that they hated it when you tried to pay for anything yourself.

So, deciding to err on the side of caution, I went to find a seat for us.

I ended up with the last two seat table top by the window, not too far from the fireplace so I settled in and made myself comfortable. The waitress stopped by and left menus and brought me back a glass of water as I continued to make mental notes about the location, longing to pull my phone out and take pictures of everything. A shadow fell across the table and I looked up into Pete's dark eyes twinkling at me.

"Hey Jessica."

"Hi Pete." I smiled at him, we'd been texting and talking all week since Christmas. "Have a seat." I nodded to the chair.

"Thanks. Have you been waiting long?" he took off his coat and put it across the back of his chair before stowing the computer bag he was carrying next to his chair as he sat down.

"No, just long enough to get the menu's and water." I said. "I was early." I said, seeing my phone time showing that it was just now turning to 2 PM.

"I was worried." He shrugged. "Had to park up the block a little farther than I wanted to." He said, studying the menu as the waitress stopped by and he ordered a water to start with.

I pushed my sleeves up and took a sip of water. "It's nice because people aren't working but it's not so nice because it just means there are a lot of people out and about having coffee."

"True." He smiled and I felt my heart melt a bit.

And the butterflies began their fluttering.

"Have you been here before?" I covered my nerves with idle chatter.

"No, have you?" He looked up from the menu.