Chapter 135

It really wasn't a surprise that my movie choice was Hunger Games. It also wasn't really a surprise that as we worked our way through the charcuterie tray and one bottle of wine became two, that the movie was serving the purpose of background chatter as we talked and laughed, remembering every moment of fun that we'd had as roommates.

We talked about the one and done date situation we'd had before deciding to be each other's plus one for most everything. Discussed our Disney days and how much fun we'd had visiting the vineyards and wineries that we'd found. The wine we were drinking tonight was part of our stash of favorites. I'd already arranged for a case of my favorites to be shipped directly from the winery to the Diner so that I could make sure I'd still be able to get my wine since I didn't want to risk taking it on the plane or shopping at the duty free store before I left. I had far too much carry on luggage to be worried about bottles breaking.

We'd graduated to lemon tarts and remembering how much fun we'd had for Christmas last year just after we'd finished the wine and I was dealing with my eyes springing leaks.

"I'm gonna miss you." I said, when he gave me a searching look of concern. "I just can't believe we're finally here. It feels like it was just a few days ago that I told you what chef was going to let me do. And now it's here. I wish you could at least just take the month off and come with me. Spend Christmas and let me have all my family around for just a bit. You'd really like them."

"They have you, of course I'd like them." He said, leaning in and nudging my shoulder with his before he stole the last half of my tart out of my hand. "And I've already met your mom, Gabriel and Sang."

"Hey." I scowled at him for the theft of my pastry. I shrugged. "True. But there's so many more." I teased. "I'm actually worried about going from our perfect little bubble of pet parenting to the madness that is the family I grew up in. I'm not sure I'll know how to be with all of them again after so much time."

He took my hand, rubbing a circle on the back of it with his thumb as I drained my glass. "You'll be fine. I bet it won't take more than a few days of catching up on sleep to alleviate the jet lag and you'll be right back to yourself and in tune with all of them."

"Maybe." I considered his words before shrugging slightly. "At least thing will be fine as long as my luggage doesn't get lost or delayed. All my Christmas shopping for them is done and it takes up one entire suitcase."

He laughed. "There is that. At least you won't have to venture into holiday shopping horrors."

I smiled before snorting. "Yes, such a lovely selling feature. I have your stuff ready too." I told him.

"What stuff?"

"I'll allow you to skip decorating if you want but you really should talk to Carrie about it. She may want to put a tree up." I said as realization cleared up the confusion on his face. "Maybe it's not a mistletoe year though, m'kay?"

He chuckled. "Fine, no mistletoe. You won't be here to share anymore mistletoe rules of engagement anyway."

"Very true. Unless you facetime me about it. Then we can discuss it." I said, seriously. "But anyway, there's a stocking for you sitting on my dresser and I found one for Carrie and filled it too. So at least put up stockings, okay? It'll be a nice roommate thing to do for your first major holiday."

"Okay." He kissed my forehead as I shifted closer, totally ignoring any boundaries that he may have wanted to put up.

"Cam..." I murmured.

"Yes, Jess?"

"I really think we should just do it..." I rested my head on his shoulder for a moment, feeling his arm wrap around me and give me a tight squeeze.