Chapter 87

The week went by rather quickly and before I knew it, it was Saturday and I needed to focus on my day. I took my time getting ready for the dance. I was supposed to have my ever-faithful stylist and his sidekick available to help me get ready, but they ended up with some Academy mission or assignment that took them out of town for the weekend.

So, I'd painted my nails last night and took my time following Gabriel's instruction on creating a perfect smokey eye to offset the coppery rose goldish lip that matched the detail on my dress. Mom straightened my hair for me, leaving a slight curl at the end before braiding the top half of my hair into a Katniss Everdeen-esque crown that made me feel like a princess.

My feet were slid into my silver heels and everything I would need for tonight was tucked into my new copper toned clutch purse and I was nervously waiting for Pete to show up.

Our lunch on Wednesday had been fine. Slightly strained and a bit awkward at first as if we were on our first date all over again. Once we'd started eating lunch, we were able to discuss things and come to an understanding that for now, we just weren't ready to take that big of a step in our relationship. He told me about talking with his mom and I was intrigued. She sounded really nice and I could only hope that I'd get to meet her some time soon. Then he told me about her cinnamon rolls and I pouted and pretended to be mad that he hadn't saved me one. Which he immediately told me that he'd brought her recipe home but had forgotten it. I could hardly wait to get my hands on it and start baking.

"You look beautiful, baby girl." Mom said, hugging me. "Are you sure you don't want me to stay until he picks you up?"

I shook my head. "It's fine." I said. "You have game night at Kota's with the rest."

She shrugged. "It doesn't matter if I'm late."

"Probably but you know that you want to go fuss over the boys." I teased. "Make sure that Sang is doing her job with all of them." She rolled her eyes and hugged me again, kissing my cheek.

"Have a good time." She said, slipping her feet into her sandals and grabbing her purse and keys. "Call me if you need me."

"Okay, mom." I said. "Have a good time with the others." She smiled and headed out the front door.

I didn't have to wait long for Pete to arrive, he'd said he'd made a 5 PM reservation for dinner before we had to report to the school at 7 for the 8 PM dance. He just didn't tell me where.

Was it wrong to hope they had a decent dessert menu?

I waited for him to get to the door and ring the doorbell before I answered it, reaching for the copper wrap I'd found when I was wandering down by my school during my lunch break earlier this week. "Hi." I said, softly, watching his face as his eyes met mine for a minute before sweeping my body.

"Hi yourself, babe." He smiled, offering me a wristlet of white roses. "You look gorgeous." He said, sliding the flowers on my wrist and helping me with the wrap before he brushed his lips gently against mine. "Happy Valentine's day."

I smiled. "Same to you. You look quite dashing in your tux." I said, taking his arm and walking out the door before I turned to lock up and set the security system. "Have you always had a tux?"

He shook his head, waiting for me to be ready to head to the car. "New acquisition." He said. "But it's a good Academy investment when you think about it, you never know when you're going to need one."

I nodded slightly. "Makes sense to me and also due to the fact you teach at a high school. You are bound to be chaperoning formal dances and proms quite often."

"Another very valid point." He smiled, opening the car door for me. "I hope you don't mind, I made reservations at Magnolia's." He said as I settled in the car and tucked my skirts in carefully.