Chapter 68

We’d helped ourselves to a few plates of appetizers and found a table to sit at, joined soon by Raven and Kayli and I hoped North and Sang were on their way. I popped a meatball in my mouth, chewed and swallowed before looking at Tony. “Could I have my purse please?” I asked. “I should probably have my phone handy until North and Sang have arrived.”

“Sure.” He nodded, wiping his fingers on a napkin before retrieving my bag from his inner jacket pocket. “Good idea, they’ll most likely let you know.” He smiled.

“Exactly. Since I think that was a big factor in us being here is that I’d know a few more people.” I laughed softly and pulled my phone out, checking that it was set on silent before putting it down by my plate and handed him my bag back. He tucked it away and popped one of the large shrimp from the seafood tower into his mouth. “Thank you.” I said.

“Always my pleasure.” Tony said before glancing up and observing as Raven and Kayli seemed to be locked into a heated, whispered discussion. “Have they been together long?” He tilted his head towards our table companions.

I pursed my lips and shrugged a shoulder. “About 6 years or so.” I said. “From what he’s told me.” I nibbled on a mini egg roll. Cocktail party appetizers were fine but I was already making mental notes of things to tell Uncle as far as trying to secure the catering contract for the next type of event like this.  If he didn’t want it then maybe someday when I was running a successful business, I’d have to look into ways to update the catering ideas of the Charleston old guard as far as good appetizers to serve to people willing to pay good money to have a successful event.

Tony nodded slightly before smiling at me. “There’s an outdoor movie showing tomorrow night. Are you free?” He asked. “I meant to ask you a lot earlier than right now but things got busy and you’re so beautiful that it slipped my mind as being good conversation to have in the car.”

I laughed softly. “I think that sounds lovely. Will it be like the outdoor concert where we need a picnic?”

“That would be a lot of fun too.” He said. “I’ll pick you up around 3 and we’ll stake out decent spots.”

“Perfect.” I said. “I’ll be ready.” We fell silent as we worked our way around our plates and the food we’d gotten.

They were about ready to start serving dinner when I finally texted Sang in the hopes she would say that they would arrive soon and relieve the pressure of being on the receiving end of Kayli’s bitch fest. I didn’t have to wait long for a response and I groaned softly, earning a worried glance from Tony.

“Everything alright, love?”

I shook my head and sent a quick text back to Sang before tucking my phone into his jacket pocket. “Sang and North aren’t going to make it.” I said, shifting closer to him as his arm went around the back of my chair.

“Did she say why?”

I shrugged. “Last minute thing, I guess. She didn’t really explain much.”

He squeezed my shoulder and smiled, leaning in to kiss my cheek. “it’s okay. We’ll eat quickly, take a dance or two and maybe go look out at the view from the plaza. It’s bound to be pretty, the sun setting and stars starting to come out.”

I smiled. “Sounds like an excellent use of our time.”

“I thought you might see it that way.”

Dinner was served and the polite conversation got a little more strained at our table as Kayli was drinking more and more wine instead of eating.  I watched as Raven gave her a few pointed looks before he sighed and gave up trying to rein her in and curb her drinking. “Likes her wine.” I commented to him in Russian.