Chapter 92

I was elbow deep in bread dough on a Wednesday, trying to finish up some rye bread for my favorite Russian, who I was meeting tonight at the coffee shop for one of our usual meetings. I couldn't get to my phone right away when it buzzed with an incoming message. 

Luke was right on top of it for me. "Hey, Jessie..." He peered at my phone. "Do you want to grab this text right now or should I be really concerned about the fact that you apparently have a hot stalker cop?"

I felt my cheeks burn. "You know I went out with him for coffee on Saturday night."

He smirked and walked by me to kiss my cheek. "Yes, but it's fun to tease you."

I rolled my eyes at him. "I'm almost done with the dough, I'll pick it up in a minute." I said, kneading the dough again before scooping it all up and depositing it in a bowl for its final rise before I would form it into loaves and bake it. 

"All right." He said before disappearing into his office. 

I washed my hands quickly, feeling my heart beat faster as I wondered what Josh was texting about. Yes, it was a two-way street. Yes, I absolutely could have texted him before today. However, I felt that we were still in such an early stage of knowing each other for anything more than just a good coffee date last weekend that I didn't want to seem overeager and also, I wasn't fully familiar with his work schedule yet. 

Seeing someone who generally worked a graveyard shift was totally new and different. 

But intriguing. 

And interesting and sounded like it might be a fun adventure to have before leaving for France. 

I swiped my phone open and read the text. 

Hot stalker cop: Hey, so I hope that this isn't too forward, but I was wondering if you'd have time to meet me this week. To be honest, it has to be early because of when I get off work, I think a breakfast date would be best.

Hmm. A breakfast date. How unique. I smiled before texting back. 

~Works for me. Please tell me it won't be so early that we can't go to that doughnut place you were talking about? ~ 

Hot stalker cop: Glazed? That would be awesome. And yes, it was totally on my mind as far as where we should go. Will I need to turn in my southern gentleman's card if I ask you out for tomorrow morning? Like 6 am?

~ I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing tomorrow morning at 6 am. ~ 

I debated throwing a flirty little smilie face in there but decided against it at the last minute before hitting send. 

Hot stalker cop: If I wasn't working tonight, I can assure you that sleep is usually at the top of my list of things to do at 6 am.

I laughed. ~Sleep is overrated, my friend. And the prospect of sleep pales in the shadow of doughnuts at 6 am with the hottest stalker cop I know. ~ 

Hot stalker cop: You know other stalker cops? You have to fill me in on my competition. I can't stand if I'm not the only stalker cop you know.

~You're aware that makes you totally fit the role of the stalker part of your nickname, right? ~ I definitely added an eyebrow raised gif to the message right after this one. 

Hot stalker cop: You're right. I'm sorry. I only have the best of intentions towards you. I'll see you tomorrow at Glazed at 6 am. Have a good rest of the day, baker bird.

I smiled. ~I will. Have a good shift and stay safe, okay? ~ 

Hot stalker cop: I will.