Chapter 57

The first part of the week passed rather quickly and I found myself in the kitchen with Mom as she made lasagna for our dinner with Tony and I worked on dessert. I was pulling out all the stops and even though our main dish was Italian, I couldn't resist the urge to work on the last dessert that Tony had mentioned loving from when he was growing up.

Flan.

It didn't seem that difficult but I found out quickly that it could be a little tricky.

Mom watched me for a bit as she layered the sauce and pasta in the baking dish. "That's looking good, sweetie."

"Thanks."

She hummed something before clearing her throat. "Jess, sweetie?"

"Yeah, mom?"

"Tony's really nice looking."

"You said hot the first day you met him." I arched an eyebrow at her, looking up.

"Well, yes." She nodded slightly.

"And?" I prompted.

"Well, I just wanted to remind you that I'm too young to be a grandma."

I blinked and my eyes widened. "Uh... you know that Kota and Sang could give you a grandkid at any time, way sooner than me. Actually, any of them and Sang and you'd claim it as yours because you claim all of them as yours." I pointed out, crossing my arms and keeping my eyes locked on her.

"Well, yes but I meant being a grandma to a child from you." She said, a faint flush hitting her cheeks as she met my gaze.

"Um, well, I'll keep that in mind.' I said.

"It's just that he's a very hot guy and I just want to make sure you're prepared for things." She rushed on ahead into what she felt like she needed to tell me. "So, I was just wondering if you wanted me to get you an appointment for maybe some birth control or anything or if you wanted to talk to Sean."

I held up a finger. "Hang on." I shuddered. "No, I do not want to talk to my older brother about birth control." I clarified, putting up another finger. "I'm not sleeping with him."

"Not now, sweetie but if you want to, you should have at least taken the basic precautions."

"I've not gone that far with anyone, trust me when I say you don't need to worry."

"But he's a ..."

"I know, a very hot guy. Mom..." I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Do you honestly think that I should sleep with him just because he's hot"? I looked at her again. "That seems a little shallow to me though, am I that shallow?" I asked faintly.

"No, sweetie." Mom looked a little faint again. "I just... well, you know, you just need to do what's best for you." She inclined her head slightly.

"Thanks, but ..." I shrugged. "Pretty sure it's not going to include sleeping with Tony because he's hot." I said pointedly and turned my attention back to the flan before sliding it into the oven. I set the timer and took it with me. "I'll be upstairs." I muttered.

"Okay sweetie." She finally said, getting back to work on the lasagna for dinner.

I decided to take a quick shower as I had about 25 minutes while the flan was in the oven. As I washed my hair, I thought about what mom had said.

I wasn't at all sure that I was ready to consider intimacy with anyone, let alone with Tony. In the back of my head, it felt like being disloyal to Zack. I know, I know. That was over a year ago.