Chapter 47

Saturday dawned as a sunny day, typical for Charleston in the summer and I got up early and ate yogurt before heading out on a run. I spent the time, listening to my music and working out my to-do list for today in my head.

1. Run. ... check.

2. Shower

3. Plan the perfect baseball game outfit

4. Beg ... again... beg Gabriel to fix my hair color.

5. Battle the butterflies and wait for Tony to pick me up

Yeah, that'd be enough for today. I shook my head slightly. Oh yeah, better tell mom I have a date today.

I put the list in the back of my mind and focused on keeping a steady pace with the music flowing through my earbuds. Man, I missed having someone to run with.

Nathan would run with me every once in a while, and Luke, well, he could usually be coerced into taking a break and running with me during the week but it wasn't the same. I hated that I'd let my running become centered around the connection that Zack and I had. The connection that grew deeper because of the fact that we were talking and running on Saturday mornings. It just felt different now.

I didn't like different a whole lot.

I turned around and ran home. It was getting warmer and I'd forgotten water today. It wouldn't be a good thing if I had to cancel my date tonight because I was recovering from heat stroke. I ran by Sang's old house and Marie was out in the yard. I glanced at her just as she glanced up at me. "Hi Marie." I said politely, giving her a slight wave as I slowed my jog down as I passed her yard.

"Hi..." she stumbled over the word, staring at me before giving me a wave in return. I glanced back at her with a smile as I reached our garage and headed in.

"Good morning, baby girl." Mom smiled. "How was the run?"

I shrugged. "A run." I said, reaching into the fridge for a bottle of water. I drank about half of it before my gaze fell on her again. "Running's not the same." I said softly.

She tilted her head and looked at me. "Because... you're running alone again or it's not your thing anymore?" She came over and leaned back against the counter next to me.

I studied the fruit bowl on the island for a long time before I answered. "Maybe both?" I shrugged. "I really don't want to give up on running because I know it's just a matter of time before my dreams of being a pastry chef get the best of my thighs."

She laughed softly. "You're built like me, my love." She leaned over and kissed my temple. "Run if you must but it'll probably be after you have a couple babies before your pastry will actually hang out on your thighs most of the time."

I sighed and leaned against her. "I'm going to hold you to that." I said seriously. "But running alone now isn't as soothing as it used to be and I do miss having conversation with ... well, him. When I can get Nathan to run with me, it's just all running and Luke doesn't really talk much anyway, let alone when we're running."

She smiled. "I can see that from the two of them." She put her arm around me and gave me a side hug. "But you are my amazing brilliant baby girl and it'll get better. Maybe it's time to find someone else to spend time with."

I smiled. "Well... speaking of that, I do have a date today."

"You do? Did you meet him at the diner?'

I shook my head. "No, after North was such a good pal last year, I decided a couple weeks ago, to ask him to set me up with someone. So, I have a date."