Chapter 7

It was a very, very enjoyable half hour while he ate.

I rang up his ticket and he put some money in Sadie's tip jar but added a generous tip to my own before telling me he'd see me tomorrow.

For a guy that always got take out before, the fact that he ate his dinner in the diner on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Highlight of the week?

Thursday.

I was wearing a short denim skirt with brass buttons down the front of it and had worn bright pink socks with my black converse with the rainbow laces. I was wearing a pair of layering tanks in pink and black under a light sweater. I was mad that day because I'd rubbed my eye once I'd gotten to the diner and managed to rip the left contact.

Which was the contact for my worse eye, if you will. If it had been the right contact then maybe I would have been able to manage to get through the shift with only one contact in. But oh no, it has to be the left contact and I had to remove the right contact and wear my glasses for my shift. I'd traded pink frames for black oval frames that could easily pass for 60's style sunglasses. Which was helpful since I had lenses in them that automatically darkened in the sun. I consoled myself that my hair looked cute in curls and a clip and my eye make up was actually pretty spot on tonight.

It didn't phase him.

He walked in and his blue eyes lit up when he saw that I was working. I have to admit, a shiver ran down my spine and I realized how excited I was to see him tonight.

Why?

How in the world was this guy I just met on Tuesday ... suddenly becoming the light at the end of my tunnel? He was the one thing I was looking forward to all day.

I looked up when the bell dinged above the door and felt a smile crease my face. "Hi Zack." I greeted him, grabbing a menu and silverware.

"Hey Jessica." Again, that silky tone in his voice ran right through me and made me shiver. "I don't think I need the menu." He said with a smile. "I'll get the special or the meatloaf."

I laughed. "It is pretty good meatloaf." I admitted before putting the menu back and leading him to his table. "Strawberry lemonade?"

"Yes please."

"Great. I'll let Tami that I've got your drink and you're probably going to be ready to order that meatloaf or the special. The special today is spaghetti and meatballs. It comes with garlic bread and soup or salad." I said. "The dessert special is a really nice cheesecake. Comes with salted caramel or strawberries." I said, my eyes meeting his.

"Sounds good." He said softly.

I smiled and headed to go tell his server he'd be ready to order soon and to make the strawberry lemonade.

He had the meatloaf.

Again.

Tipped his server and tipped me as well. He lingered after putting money in the jars though. I studied him for a moment. "Was there something else?" I asked.

He looked nervous for a moment before blinking at me. His gaze dropped to my lips before meeting my eyes again. "I like the glasses." He said in a rush.

"Tore a contact tonight when I got here. There wasn't really a choice." I said.

He smiled at me. "At least you have back up." He pointed out.

"That is entirely true. I wore them every day for the longest time." I admitted.

He hesitated again and I raised an eyebrow at him in response. "Can I get your number?" He blurted.