Chapter 64

I was startled out of my dancing when my phone rang. I frowned slightly before pulling my earbuds out of my ears and answered it. "Hello?"

"Hello to you too, love."

My frown turned right around as the rich baritone of Tony's voice washed over me. "Hey stranger. I thought I wasn't going to get to talk to you tonight." It was Wednesday and while we did spend some time together or time talking on Wednesdays, he often had something to do with his friends.

I didn't ask questions.

It was okay with me.

I wasn't going to make him give up his friends or change his life that much while we were together after all.

He chuckled. "My thing ended early so I thought I'd call my girlfriend. Are you busy?"

"Oh, I'm just getting in a little late night work on a new recipe or two. May or may not have just had a lovely dance session with the mixer."

"Oh yes, a good bump and grind with the buttercream. That's what you called it, right?"

I laughed. "Oh, I'm so glad you remember THAT from our first date." I teased.

"I have to work hard to recall that. My memories are skewed because the best part of that date was kissing you for as long as I did in the parking lot."

I was alone in the diner kitchen but you bet my cheeks flushed a brilliant crimson at his comment. "Yeah, I remember that very well." I murmured.

"Don't be embarrassed." His voice softened.

"Okay." I said before laughing softly again and moving to clean up after myself because I was mostly done for the night. "How was work today?"

"Hot. But everything got taken care of so it's good." Tony said. "Hey, I was wondering... there's a thing coming up not this Saturday but next and it's an Academy event but open to us to bring a guest who's Academy aware and I was wondering if you'd like to go with me."

I chuckled. "Is it fancy? Do I need a new dress?"

"Probably." He said. "It's extremely fancy, I have to go get a tux."

"You'll be so handsome in a tux." I said. "It's in the evening?"

"Yes. It's a dinner, silent auction and dance sort of thing but someone has to make an appearance and I'm the only one around currently who's not busy." He said, a hint of apology in his voice. "We don't have to stay for the entire thing."

"Tony... I'd love to go." I said. "Sounds like fun. A nice dress up sort of event. It's great."

"You really... want to?"

"Yes." I said patiently. "It's great. I'll get a nice dress and no worries."

"Thanks!" He said. "Wish I had asked in person."

"Oh?"

"Because you deserve a kiss for agreeing." He chuckled.

"Oh, well, I'll let you make up for that this weekend." I teased as I rinsed my hands off and glanced around the now clean kitchen. "I don't have any events that weekend after all, it's all bake, prep and pick up by Saturday morning."

"Sounds good." He said. We talked for a little bit longer as I made my way out of the kitchen, pausing to lock the door behind me as I headed to my car. I switched on my Bluetooth headset so that we could talk the short 5 minutes to my house.

Once I was in and the alarm was set again, I headed upstairs, intending on getting comfortable to continue our conversation. "So, wait, I just got home... the event's in a week and a half and it is black tie?" I asked as I pulled out a dry erase marker to make a note on my mirror.