Chapter 62

I found myself reliving the weekend so far on Sunday morning as I got busy in the kitchen at the diner.

Silly me, being nice to brides.

She wanted 3 dozen more cupcakes and 3 pans of peanut butter rice krispy treats. Not a problem really except she wanted coconut cupcakes with lemon curd filling, coconut buttercream and toasted coconut on top. I didn't have any coconut cupcakes in the freezer so I was scrambling to make cupcakes. I'd knocked the krispy treats out first and they were cooling in pans on the racks so that I could cut them into squares and drizzle half of them with chocolate.

I'd also realized I was out of coconut buttercream so I had to make that too. And my stores of lemon curd had been used with the pancake special at the diner last week. So now I needed to make lemon curd and hope everything cooled fast enough that I wouldn't have everything melting all together. So, one mixer was whipping up my nice fluffy buttercream and the other was busy with cake batter while I zested and juiced a small mountain of lemons.

Friday was amazing. We'd split what felt like a ton of food. Funnel cakes and corn dogs... corn on the cob with tons of butter and cotija cheese. Deep fried Twinkies with a side of churros and deep fried Oreos. Lemonade and root beer floats and I talked him in to the chocolate covered bacon on a stick and he didn't have to do much talking to get me to split a batch of bbq pork egg rolls with him. We'd walked around hand in hand and made out while we waited in line for games before heading into the free seating at the grandstand to listen to the cover band performing an array of music. Of course, they covered several Maroon 5 songs so that was perfectly fine with us.

I just don't think I burned enough calories kissing Tony on Friday night.

And trust me, once we left, we made it back to the house in a decent amount of time and had almost an hour to ourselves. I invited him in or at least around to the back for some hammock cuddling but he was too impatient to kiss me to bother leaving his truck so yes, as potentially embarrassing as it was, we made out in the driveway.

It was very tempting to text mom at 5 minutes before curfew to tell her I needed more time.

But Tony and I both had full Saturday's planned with work. So reluctantly, I let him walk me to the front door to kiss me again before I went into the house.

Saturday started with a longer run than usual and my run ended with the last-minute bride calling and we ended up doing a rushed session to figure out a few more desserts for her dessert bar. I honestly thought it wasn't going to be a big deal so I was focusing on finishing the desserts that were already made for her bar and then I made all the desserts for the diner to last until Wednesday. I'd be baking again on Tuesday and Wednesday was my session with Raven. I was taking Monday off as I normally did the day after a wedding. It just worked best for me. And Uncle and Luke understood completely and didn't mind. The fact that I had them ahead on desserts to come out of the weekend was a bonus and not something they required of me but something I did because I wanted to.

We went to the baseball game as planned. Despite my protests that I was still full from last night's eating adventures, we still ate pizza and pretzels and split an ice cream sandwich made of chocolate ice cream between two large chocolate chip cookies. Tony took a picture of me holding it up before we started to eat it and I swear, you can't see my face in the picture. The ice cream sandwich is literally as big as my head.

Well, at least my face.

There were fireworks after the game and since the Riverdogs lost, well, at least there were fireworks to console ourselves with. The down side of this is the fact that everyone stuck around for the fireworks show despite the loss. Traffic was backed up in the parking lot for almost an hour. We made decent use of the time, if you ask me.