Chapter 20

I tried to not pay such close attention but to be honest, her questions were getting the answers that I'd wanted but didn't know how to ask for. What I did know?

Mama bear was very skilled in interrogation techniques.

She either taught Owen all he knew or he'd shared more than one tip or two with her.

I studied the slices of cake on the plates and smiled before adding small scoops of vanilla ice cream. I drizzled a little bit of the remaining chocolate ganache over the ice cream. It was warmed up again and acted a bit like magic shell ice cream topping because it hardened when it hit the ice cream. I made my way back over to the table. "Time for a ceasefire." I smiled at mom before I set their plates down in front of them and returned to my seat with my own slice of cake. "I want feedback." I cautioned them both. "This is the very first test run for this recipe."

"Should I be worried that we're guinea pigs?" Zack asked, shooting a glance at mom.

"Oh no, she's quite good at what she does."

I flushed slightly. "Okay. Try it first before you toss out the compliments." I rolled my eyes, waiting for them to try it before I'd be digging into mine.

"Well it's stunning in design." Mom said, surveying her plate from all angles. "I really like the piping, sweetie. I would definitely buy this cake at any bakery."

Zack nodded, his fork cutting into the cake and he took the first bite. I watched his face for a long moment, surprised when he closed his eyes as he chewed the cake. "Oh man." He said, opening his eyes after he swallowed. "that's amazing." He said. "I'm getting peanut butter."

I nodded. "Peanut butter buttercream between the layers and the rosettes on the top of the cake." I said.

"It's awesome."

Mom had taken her own bite by now and my gaze went to her reaction instead. "He's right. You've got the makings of a winner here. The cake is so delicious and it's not a really dense cake, it's soft and moist but not too much of those if that makes sense." She said, eating more.

"It does." I nodded. "I'll need to have Luke and Sang try it. They're almost the chocolate experts." I said.

"Which means you should have Ben try it too. He might really like it and you'll end up making it for the diner." Mom smiled at me. "Now eat your cake. You did such a good job on it."

Zack wasn't saying much at this point because he was destroying the cake. I wasn't going to be too surprised if he licked his plate. I could probably offer him another slice so that he didn't have to be so drastic about it. He grinned at me. "I can't hardly say anything more than it's amazing but your mom said everything that I was thinking."

Mom laughed. "Flattery will get you everywhere in this house."

I rolled my eyes and took a bite, taking a moment to analyze what I was tasting when the entire cake, frosting and ganache combo was eaten at the same time. I closed my eyes to taste it best and was a bit startled to find them staring at me when I opened my eyes again. "What?"

They both shook their heads at me and smiled knowingly.

Of course, I smiled slightly. They'd been eating the cake. They knew it was amazing and destined to make you feel this way ... total happiness... when you ate it. I dragged my fork through the ganache, tasting it on its own. I did the same with the buttercream and the cake before taking a bite of all the elements again. "Oh yes." I mumbled. "This is a great cake."

"I'd buy it every night if it was on the dessert menu."

I grinned at Zack. "is that right. Well then I'll make sure to tell that to Luke and Uncle."

"You should." He said as he ran his fork over the surface of the plate again as if to make sure that he had eaten everything.

"I'll send a piece home with you tonight." I said, my eyes locked on his when he looked up at me.

I caught a flash of Mom's smile as she glanced between the two of us.

"Cool." He smiled and set his fork down as I finished the last of my cake and ice cream.

"Okay you two. I don't know what you'd get into on a school night but it's not too late so why don't you go for a walk or a drive or something and I'll clean up the kitchen." Mom said.

I blinked at her. "Really?"

She got up and came over to me, putting her hand under my chin as she raised my head to look at her. "Yes, sweetie. Really." She bent slightly and kissed my forehead. "go on. Be home by 10 since it's a school night."

"Okay." I said, as she backed away. I got out of my chair and wrapped my arms around her, hugging her tightly. "Thanks, Mom."

"Yeah, thanks, Erica." Zack said.

Mom smiled. "Thank you for coming to dinner. I enjoyed spending time with the two of you tonight."

"Thanks for the invite." I heard Zack say as I headed upstairs to get my shoes and phone so we could go do whatever. I came back downstairs to find mom had already put a piece of cake in a container and he was shifting from side to side anxiously. "Ready?" He asked.

"I'll meet you out at the car." I said.

"Okay." He nodded slightly before heading out the front door to go to his car.

"Thanks again, mom." I said.

"No problem, sweetie. He's a really great guy." She said, looking at me. "And I trust you so yes, if you want to have him over sometime during the week when I'm not at home, yes. You can. I trust that you will both behave yourselves." She cautioned.

"We will." I said, hugging her impulsively and kissing her cheek. "Love you." I said before I dashed out of the house to meet Zack. I heard her laughing behind me as I made my speedy escape.

Zack grinned at me and pulled me into him when I reached him at his car. "What do you want to do?" He asked before dropping a kiss on my lips.

"Well, we could walk our normal run route." I said, looking up at him. "Or we could drive to waterfront park again and walk along the pier. I have to be home by 10."

He rested his chin on the top of my head and looked at his watch. "So we have a good three and a half hours at least. That's also enough time for a movie or an arcade visit. Care to go play some video games?"

"I have my brother's old xbox. Do you really want to go somewhere to play games?" I tilted my head to look at him, dislodging his chin from my head. "And my head is not a resting shelf for your chin." I poked him in the stomach.

"We should go to the arcade. If we don't want to play video games, there's air hockey, whack a mole and foosball." He said as he opened the car door for me.

I snorted out a laugh. "whack a mole?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "I haven't played that in ages."

"Good. Maybe I'll beat you." He rolled his eyes at me and went around to get in behind the wheel.

"Doubt it." I chuckled. "I always win." I teased.

"We'll see."