Chapter 53

I smiled as we stood there, nose to nose when the kiss ended. "Are you hungry?" I asked.

"I could eat."

"Oh well then, if you can eat..." I winked at him and turned away, keeping one of his hands clasped in mine as I moved over to the picnic basket and we sat down on the blanket.

"Are you wearing sunscreen?" he asked digging around in his backpack for a moment and brandishing a bottle of sunscreen at me.

"I am." I smiled. "But I love that you brought some with you." I tilted my head to look at him, raising my sunglasses up to the top of my head for a bit. The sun was shielded behind some trees behind me and it wasn't too brilliantly bright to look at him without them on right at the moment. "I should have realized though. Academy boys are always prepared." I observed.

He chuckled and pulled a second bottle out. "And we're always overly prepared." He said. "Rule of two and all that."

I laughed and opened up the basket. "Well then, I'm very much prepared then as well." I said, pulling containers out and setting them between us. "Water... soda?" I asked.

"Water's good." He said.

I handed him a bottle and grabbed a Dr. Pepper for myself before shutting the basket again.

He eyed the containers between us. "What did you make?" he asked.

"Well, I might have been wanting to make a super good impression on you." I admitted, reaching for the container of empanadas. "So I've got some pork empanadas and patatas fritas... I put some chile seasoning on them." I said, opening the container of the chip like potatoes and setting them both between us. "And for dessert, tres leches cupcakes." I opened those as well.

His eyes widened and he stared at the food. "You did all of this... today." He looked at me. "Just because I mentioned my favorite foods to you."

I shrugged. "Like we said. I like to make people happy and if I can learn what you like, I want to do that." I said. "I have plans for churros and flan later, just so you know." I grinned at him.

"I can't wait to taste them." He said, opening his water and taking a long drink of it. "But these..." He reached for an empanada, accepting a napkin when I gave it to him. "These look like the ones my mama learned to make from my abuela." He said, raising it to me in a toast before taking a bite.

I stalled, waiting to see his reaction before I started in on mine so I grabbed one and just was holding on to it. He was invested in eating, I could see that. It was the same way that Silas ate baklava or the kourabiedes – Greek Christmas cookies that mom made for him every year at Christmas. They were his mama's favorite cookies and he always ate the first few of the season with his eyes closed. Tony was chewing thoughtfully with his eyes closed as he tasted everything that had gone into the empanadas. I opened my soda and took a long drink of it, swallowing when he finally opened his eyes. "Well?"

His eyes crinkled first with the smile. "Fantastic." He said, reaching for a few of the papatas fritas and munching on them. "It's perfect, Jessica."

I grinned at him and took a bite of my empanada. "Good." I said. "I'm glad to hear that."

"Reminds me of home." He said softly before he took another bite.

I watched him. Saying that made him look sad. "Is that a good thing?" I asked cautiously. The last thing I wanted to do is make him unhappy. I'd never make him empanadas again if it made him unhappy.

He was quick to nod, finishing the chips in his mouth. "It is, I swear." He toyed with the lid to his water bottle. "I haven't seen them in a good 4 years at least, probably almost 5. I had to leave home. Issues with my brother and a gang thing. It's safer here." His eyes were full of emotion when he looked up at me.

"Oh. That's why you stopped playing baseball, isn't it."

He nodded slightly. "Too risky to play anything organized." He said before smiling. "These are truly amazing, love."

My cheeks flushed slightly at the term of endearment. It was nice though. "Thanks." I murmured before we started to both eat again. I'd eaten enough empanadas at the diner while I was making them that I only ate two and a few of the chips. He polished off at least half of the empanadas that were in the container and the chips I didn't eat. "I did bring some fruit too." I remembered belatedly. "If you need something more before we get into the cupcakes."

He laughed. "No, I'm good for now." He said, eyeing the empanadas.

"You get whatever's left." I said.

"Really?" his eyes lit up.

"Yes, really. You can have lunch tomorrow." I smiled, packing up the empty chip container and waving the empanadas at him before he shook his head and I put the lid back on them and put them back in the basket.

"Lunch will be perfect." He reached for my hand and I crawled over the blanket to settle next to him. "The band's about to start and I think we might end up dancing off a few calories first before dessert." He said, bringing me in closer to him and letting his arm drape around me as I settled closer to his side. He leaned in, pressing a kiss to my bare shoulder before kissing my cheek. "Thank you." He murmured in my ear.

"You're welcome." I said, turning my head to look at him. "I'm serious about wanting to know if there's other things you like."

"I know." He said. "And I'll let you know. I was thinking though, as we ate, that there is a place I want to take you for dinner sometime. It's a Venezuelan place and they tend to view me as family."

"Sounds fun. Maybe dinner with my mom this week and we could go there next week, Wednesday ...?"

"That sounds like a good idea. Because you won't be available next weekend." He tilted his head at me.

"Right. Wedding Saturday, baby shower and bridal shower things on Sunday. I'll be slammed Friday afternoon until at least 7 or 8 pm on Sunday." I said.

He nodded slightly. "Maybe we could go for coffee Sunday night. Just somewhere quiet where you can relax a bit."

"Sounds nice." I said. "I will make sure to write that down and let you know when I'm free Sunday."

He kissed me gently as the band finished up with their warm up time and started right in on their Maroon 5 covers. He got up and reached for my hand, drawing me up to my feet and positioned me just in front of the blanket. "Dancing time." He grinned.

I laughed as he kept hold of my hand and we started to dance, singing along to the music.