Chapter 28

The limo pulled up at the entrance our school was using for prom and my fingers tightened around Zack's. "Nervous, Beautiful?"

"A little." I admitted, feeling him lean in and press a kiss gently to my forehead. There was something protective in kisses to the forehead. This one wasn't brotherly in nature, like I typically received from my family of extended brothers. This one struck me deeper and made me realize that people I considered 'not yet' family like the boys that I grew up with considering family, also had the ability to instill confidence in me and convey a willingness to protect me and be at my side to back me up. "There's a group of girls who used to be friends. I'm nervous about them. There's also the mean girl cliché. I'm nervous about them too." I said.

"I won't leave you alone." He said. "Well, unless you're in the ladies room. But I can wait outside for you if you want me too."

I smiled up at him. "I appreciate it. I will let you know in the event of this being needed how far I need you to be at that point." I sighed softly. "Then there's my list of one date wonders. I've avoided them just as much as they've avoided me."

"I'm yours to claim. I can glare at them all night long for being idiots if you want."

I laughed softly as the car came to a stop. "You feel free to do that." The door opened and I shifted to get out of the limo, placing my hand in the large hand that appeared in the doorway at face level. My eyes met the eyes of our driver. "Thank you." I said as I stood up and let my dress float into place around me.

"You're welcome." He said, words accented and I tilted my head to study him.

"And he's honest to goodness the best date I've ever had. You can lighten up on him a bit."

His eyes showed surprise and he glanced at Zack for a long moment. "As you wish." He inclined his head slightly to me.

I smiled at him. "Thank you. Of course, I'll be sure to let you know if that changes."

He grunted and let go of my hand as Zack stood up beside me and wrapped an arm around my waist. "Still watch just not as close." He said, glancing at Zack for another long moment.

Zack raised an eyebrow at him before shifting me, walking towards the door. "Thanks, I think." He said to me.

"No problem." I chuckled. "He just reminds me of some of those extra brothers of mine."

"I see." He said. I glanced up at him to find his lips pursed and one eyebrow raised as he considered my answer.

"Someday. Probably sooner rather than later." I said lightly before pulling the tickets out of my bag and holding it up. "Would you be a dear and tuck this in your inside jacket pocket? Sang indicated that would be the perfect place for it to hang out tonight."

He smiled down at me and took it, stopping in the walkway to tuck it into the inside pocket as I'd requested. "Of course, Beautiful." He said, bending his head to lightly touch his lips to mine before he straightened and offered me his arm. "Ready then?"

"Sure." I handed him the two tickets and tucked my arm around his as we strolled up to where the ticket takers were collecting the tickets.

"Oh, Jessica. It's so nice to see you tonight." Mrs. Hopper greeted me as she took our tickets. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." I said before taking a moment to introduce her to Zack, who greeted her with impeccable manners and class. I didn't doubt that he possessed them, it was just not standard for an 18 year old who wasn't named Victor Morgan or Owen Blackbourne.