Chapter 13

I felt like I was grinning like a fool as I practically floated into the house, securing the alarm as I shut and locked the door.

Have I mentioned that Zack is a superbly excellent kisser?

That was when I bumped into a wall.

Well, not really a wall but my tall, somehow deceptively feels like he's built like a wall, older brother.

I tilted my head and looked up at him. "Hey." I said, warily. "You are aware you don't live here anymore, right?"

He crossed his arms and stared down at me. "Thought you weren't rushing into anything, Jess." He said.

"How'd you get that idea from my statement that I need to find a prom date? You know, for the prom that's in 6 weeks or so?"

His stare intensified and he scowled.

"Have you been taking the wrong sorts of lessons from Owen? Geez, Kota." I rolled my eyes at him and tried to move past him but he moved with me and planted himself in my way. "Dude. You're in my way." I poked him in the stomach. "Move it."

"Why didn't you tell us you were dating?" He fired off at me.

"I went on a date ... tonight. Does one date make one actually officially dating?" I felt my lips turn down in a frown as my eyes narrowed at him. I mean, other than the fact that my lips were practically kissed off by the only boy I'd ever wanted to kiss my lips off. I caught myself from feeling my lips. They were probably still a bit swollen from the kissing.

"What do you know about him? Does Sean need to have another talk with you again? When are you going to bring him home so we can get to know him? Why are you getting home so late?"

My eyes widened at the line of questions that Kota fired at me, like it was some sort of trial and I had to answer all the questions or be held in contempt of court. "Geez, I thought you had a life now." I glared at him.

"Chocolate chip pancakes?" Luke's head popped out of the kitchen and he smiled at me, tenetively as if worried about something. "I didn't tell him. I swear it on a stack of these pancakes. I swear Jessie." He blurted.

I blinked at him. "I know you wouldn't tell, Luke." I hastened to reassure him. Were those tears falling down his cheeks? Luke's always been a bit odd but again, always my favorite. "I'll come have pancakes in a moment." I glared back at Kota. "What did you do to Luke? And how did you find out anything anyway?"

"That's my fault probably."

I glanced at Sang as she came around the other side and glared at my brother. "oh?"

"I wanted to come wait for you and have girl talk and find out how it went and someone..." she pointed an unwavering finger at Kota. "Had to get all nosy about my phone and saw what I was planning on texting you and then he wouldn't let me text and he wouldn't let me come over by myself. Luke was worried you'd be mad at him so he came over too." She explained.

"I see. So basically, Kota's still an overbearing jerk that didn't learn a darn thing at dinner the other night." I said.

"You haven't answered my questions." He growled at me. "You're not going anywhere until you answer them."

"You're not the boss of me, Kota. I don't have to do anything that you tell me to do." I fought the urge to pop my hip out and put my fists on my hips and stick my tongue out at him. I heard Sang mutter 'you go girl' under her breath. "You're in my way. I need to go eat some pancakes and head to bed. I have to work in the morning." I glared at him. "Stop pulling a North on me."