Chapter 82

~A~

Pete thrust his hand through his hair, groaning at the stack of papers he had to grade tonight before he could call it a night and head to bed. Maybe he was tired, teaching was a noble profession but not necessarily the greatest when you were 19 and barely older than your Jr. High students.

There's probably a reason that not many Academy members chose an accelerated learning program to end up focusing on teaching.

Yet, it's only Thursday and his girlfriend was not coming over tonight.

He scowled at the paper he'd pulled over to grade next and reached for his red pen. Three typos on the cover page. This was bound to be interesting reading.

Pete glanced at the clock and wondered if he would be seen as controlling or needy if he texted Jess. She'd only said she had dinner plans with a girlfriend tonight and promised to bring dessert when she came over tomorrow. He'd agreed and now he sort of wished that he hadn't because he would happily welcome the distraction of her in his arms and a good make out session tonight instead of grading papers. But she rarely spent time with anyone else and since he was reduced to spending time with his brothers via text chat currently, he could hardly begrudge her the chance to catch up with a friend. He had at least, pulled together the ingredients needed to make a Chile Colorado variation for diner tomorrow night. It was one of those recipes Jess had found for him and taught him to make and it had quickly become a favorite crock pot dinner for both of them.

He opened the text chat with the others, setting his pen down while he typed. ~Hey, I know it's not the usual time but ... anyone free for a chat? ~

Peeta: Hey, I was just thinking about you. How's it going?

~ Good. I think I realize why people don't tend to accelerate their way through a teaching certificate. ~

Mr. Darcy: Too much like being in school yourself?

Heathcliff: Too much homework?

Frodo: Not enough time for yourself in the morning?

Harry: Too hot for the teacher that is in the next classroom?

~EWW. She's like 80. ~

Harry: Thought you liked older women. Your girlfriend is older.

~By a few months, not almost 60 years. ~

Frodo: Think of the experience... LOL

~Please no. She's been married for almost three quarters of her life. To three husbands. ~

Peeta: At the same time?

Frodo: Interesting. I met someone like that once.

Pete realized his mistake and groaned before slapping his forehead with his hand. ~No, not at the same time. Separately. After they died. The first two, that is. The third is still alive and married to her. Quite the kicking guy, apparently. ~

Heathcliff: Intriguing. My grandparents were married for over 50 years.

Frodo: That's awesome. Anyway... What's up, bro?

~Just stuck thinking instead of grading papers. Wish you guys were here. ~

Peeta: You could be here instead, still. But you wouldn't have a girlfriend.