Chapter 5

(Edited)

Once you and Sasha figured out how to put your harness on, you headed over to the so-called balancing site.

'That harness sure was difficult to fasten. Does it get any easier?- What are you supposed to do if there is a surprise titan-attack, and you don't have your harness on? It would suck to be that guy'

The two of you rendezvous with Connie once at the site and look up in awe at the four huge contraptions in front of you.

"First, your aptitude will be tested. Those who fail are not even worthy to serve as bait!", Sadies stated once everyone had arrived. "Split into four groups and line up in front of each station!". Everyone was quick to follow his orders, and you joined Connie and Sasha in one of the middle groups. You strategically avoided going to the station were Sadies was standing, however, your heart sank as you realized he was moving around between all contraptions.

'There is no escaping him. Well Y/N, if you can't avoid him, I guess you just have to do everything you can to impress him. Just you wait Sadies, I'll prove you wrong!'

"Who's first?", the man operating the contraption asked nonchalant. It was quiet for a moment and you were just about to volunteer when Connie took a step forward. He had a smug expression on his face.

"I'll show you guys how it's done", he said as the man fastened his harness to the wires. Connie was then lifted up.

He wobbled, trying hard to find the balancing point. After a few times of going back and forth between complete balance and wobbling, he finally managed to stand still. His concentrated face turned back into his previous smug expression. He placed his hands on his hips as he was lowered back down.

"You guys see? I'm a natural!", he said in a boasting way as he stood between you and Sasha, his hands still resting on his hips. You rolled your eyes with a little smile.

"Sure you are Connie", you said patting his head before walking up to the apparatus. It was now or never. You really wanted to prove yourself, and you were not about to embarrass yourself in front of the whole south cadet corps...-again!

You took deep breaths as you were strapped in.

'It's okay Y/N, you can do this. If there is one thing you are confident in, it is your physical abilities!'

You closed your eyes as you felt yourself being lifted from the ground.

*slight wobble*

'Breathe, Y/N, breathe...'

*Complete standstill*

You opened your eyes, feeling in control of every muscle in your body. You met the eyes of an amazed Sadies, who most likely made his way over to you thinking you would fail, ready to tear you apart.

"Take this as an example of my expectations for you all, cadets!", Sadies simply stated, loud and clear, before making his way to another station.

You felt your face heat up at his words and the countless gazes facing you. In the group to your left, you spotted a pair of familiar faces in the crowd. It was Armin and Marco, both smiling at you. Marco gave you a thumbs up. You gave them a small wave as you were lowered back down.

"Y/N, that was AMAZING!", Sasha exclaimed, grabbing a hold of your shoulders.

"Yeah, nearly as good as me!" Connie  said. "I can't help that I'm a genius you know, you'll get there soon enough Y/N", he added in a playful tone, nudging you on your arm lightly. You gave out a little giggle and nudged him back.