Chapter 9 - Pt. 3

As you returned back to HQ in Trost you were asked to help Eren and Mikasa load boxes onto a wagon. You were absolutely starving and really wanted to say no, but it wasn't really in your place to refuse an order from a higher-up. The others went on to start eating without you.

"Damn, these crates are heavy!", Eren exclaimed, struggling to even lift one up.

You and Mikasa eyed him, each of you carrying three crates each, stacked on top of each other.

"Here, let me help", Mikasa offered, planning on adding his crate to her stack.

"No, I can do it myself!", Eren said flustered as he noticed both you and Mikasa carrying yours with ease.

Someone poked you on the shoulder as you loaded the wagon. You turned around to meet the face of a middle-aged woman.

"Umm, Is Jean-bo.. UH! I mean Jean Kirstein around here?", she asked in a careful manner.

'Jean-bo? Oh! This must be his mother! How nice of her to come visit!'

"Yes he is! You must be his mother, Mrs. Kirstein?", you asked politely.

"Yes, yes I am dear", she answered you with a smile. It looked like your nice attitude relaxed her.

"I'm one of his friends, Y/N L/N.  I'm sure he'll be delighted to see you again!", you said happily.

'She seems like the sweetest person; Jean will be happy to meet her again'

"Follow me, Mrs Kirstein!", you said and motioned with your hand for her to follow.

Entering the mess hall, you spotted the three of them sitting on a table close to the entrance.

"Hey Jean!", you yelled out excited.

Jean got up from his seat and walked towards you.

"Your mom came to see you!", you revealed with a closed-eyed smile, happy to help this little family reunite.

"Jean-bo!", you heard his mom say from behind you.

"Wha-", Jean almost whispered in shock. You watched as the scene played out.

"Why didn't you come home, Jean-bo?", she said sad as she placed her hand on his collar jacket. "Even Thomas from the Wagner family made sure to visit!" "You're such a problem child", she added with a little sigh. She looked down, making you do the same. Looks like Jean spilled some water on his thigh.

"Did you spill soup or something on yourself? You're hopeless..", she said, reaching to wipe it away with a handkerchief. You noticed the entire hall was watching them in complete silence.

'Oh no, Jean does not look happy'

"Stop that!", Jean yelled, and his mom looked up at him shocked.

"But Jean-"

"Just go home already!", he stopped her, pushing her away from him harshly.

"Jean!", you said firmly. His mom looked to you with a smile, brushing it off as nothing just happened. She reached into the basket she was holding and started pulling out apples, one after the other.

"These are for everyone", she said.

"We don't need them!", Jean yelled again, swiping the apples off the table with one arm.

"Jean!", you said again, this time angry. You hated seeing anyone treat their family with such disrespect. You bent down, starting picking up the apples.