Chapter 22

During the end of the week before your friends arrived, more and more scouts had joined you at the castle, slowly making the cold stone walls feel warm with life and laughter. You had become quite acquainted with some of the veterans; Miche, Nanaba and Gelgar going out of their way to give you advice and counselling on how to improve your skills. Miche is dead set on you having a super special talent, claiming he can smell it. You play along, not really sure what that talent could be. The only thing you could think of your ability to read people, but how could he smell that? You even got to talking some more with Erwin, the few times he wasn't in his office.

Now that your friends were here, it felt like the last puzzle piece was put in place. The castle started to feel more like home than any other place you had lived since Shiganshina. Sasha and Mikasa was assigned as your roommates, Hange happy to pull some strings for you. You even managed to help Connie, Marco and Jean get a room together, knowing they would appreciate it. Armin was also assigned as their rommate, after they denied your request to let him bunk together with Eren and move him to a proper room. You tried at least.

"Y/N, what can't you do?", Sasha exclaimed happy at the news. She confessed she was quite nervous she would end up alone. She was way too used to you staying together, and not being with you as much as she could, in a situation where you all knew time was limited, scared her. You winked at her.

"Befriending the higher-ups has its perks", you said jokingly as you changed out of your uniform, swiftly putting on your nightgown. You felt overwhelmingly tired, today's events had worn you out even though it wasn't necessarily a very challenging day physically.

"Hey, Y/N, wanna have a sleepover?", Sasha asked you with a grin.

"Uh- Hell yeah! Duh!", you answered her with a giggle and quickly tiptoed over to her bunk. You wiggled in under her covers and you both snuggled up.

"You can join too if you want Mikasa. I'm sure we'll all fit if we squeeze together!", Sasha offered her, Mikasa, peeping her head up over the edge of her bed on the top bunk across the little room, let out a slight chuckle, shaking her head lightly.

"I doubt we'd ever manage to sleep like that, and you and I have early training tomorrow Sasha", Mikasa reminded her.

"Shit, that's true. We better sleep straight away then Y/N, no gossiping tonight!", she said determined. You always struggled to actually fall asleep every time you did this, always ending up talking about anything and everything. You nodded, determined as well.

Of course that didn't happen, the both of you actively catching up with each other's events from the past week, keeping you up several hours more.

~

You fluttered your eyes open, the morning sun making its way through the window. You noticed Sasha and Mikasa had already left since the newest recruits had an early training evaluation. The scouts wasted no time making sure everyone was up to standard before venturing out on the expedition next month. They would have to complete a series of tests so the scouts could pin point where they are at, followed by several 'beginner courses', easing them into how they train here in the Survey Corps. You had already noticed training was much different here in comparison to the one at boot camp. In boot camp they have a much broader spectrum, keeping you in shape and developing skills that fit all regiments. Here however, training focuses more on what is useful in the Survey Corps specifically. It's heavy training, as you basically have to strengthen and improve everything you have in your body. Manoeuvring the ODM gear depends on complete control of your physique and balance, and being able to use your gear well is essential in this regiment.

'Seems like I have the day to myself up until dinner-time. There is no Special Ops squad training today either, which is a first'

You remembered Eren telling you he planned to sleep in all day since you have the day off, ruling out the possibility of meeting up with him. You decided to get yourself ready for the day and seek out Hange. She must have something in mind for you.