Chapter 41

The inside of the chapel was surprisingly dusty. It didn't seem to have been cleaned in a while, or ever cleaned at all.

'I thought Rod Reiss would use it often seeing he was so quick to rebuild it after the fire. Not to mention spending his own fortune on it'

You walked around, checking the walls and under surfaces for anything suspicious.

"Filthy", Levi muttered to himself in a low voice, followed by some other words too quiet for you to decode.

"Found it!", you heard Hange exclaim from across the room. "A hidden door". You quickly made your way over to her, the others gathering around as well. On the ground underneath a large rug, Hange had revealed a trap door, most likely leading to wherever Eren and Historia is located. "Eren's gotta be here with the enemy. Hopefully, the layout is like predicted".

Hange and Moblit had thought out a couple ideas on what the hidden area could look like, based on the area around the chapel, as well as points from the book they acquired from Erwin. It is likely the place is underground and quite vast. It is safe to assume there to be a lot of pillars as well seeing that the ground above would need a lot of support to not collapse completely. Therefore it would be an ideal place for you to use your ODM-gear.

"We just have to take the chance it is", Levi answered before turning to look at the rest of you. "Looks like we have what we need to assemble the smoke bombs. Let's get moving and get this over with". You didn't hesitate, quickly making your way over to get a hold of the ropes while the rest got the crates filled with gunpower and the bags of oil.

Assembling them was an easy job, the only thing needed was to tie the bags to the crates and attach some wheels at either end to make it roll down easier.

"All right, we're good to go!", Armin declared after tightening the last knot. Sasha was preparing her fire arrows.

"Is everyone ready to get their hands dirty too?". Levi looked over at the rest of you, and you noticed the atmosphere tense up. Of course you all knew it would come to this, but god how much you wish you didn't have to. There is no way to avoid killing someone down there. There will probably be over thirty enemies doing everything they can to kill you. It is no time or place to hesitate once you go through that hatch in front of you.

No one said anything, but you didn't need to. Levi understood.

"Guess so"

~

'You're hands are already dirty Y/N. You can do this. For Eren and Historia; you can do this!'

You took a couple of deep breaths as you and the others made your way down a little dark corridor. At the end of it you could spot a vast door, probably leading to what hopefully was the large hall with pillars.

'Activate the smoke bombs, rid of all enemies and locate Eren'

Reaching the door you all stopped, making sure to make no sound. Levi looked at each and every one of you, making sure you were all focused and ready for what was about to come. You looked over at Marco, the two of you giving each other a look of acknowledgment and admiration, like you always do before venturing out on possible lethal missions.

By the silent count of three, visualised with his fingers, he kicked the door open. Armin, Marco and Jean proceeded to push the crates through it before any of you took a step past the doorframe. Levi counted silently again, all of you rushing inside as soon as his third finger flexed.

The room was even larger than you pictured it to be, with crystalised walls as well as the pillars you had foreseen. You took the time to note where the enemies were standing while Sasha shot her first fire arrow at one of the crates. They looked to be standing on wooden panels connected to the walls. They seemed quite taken back by your abrupt appearance.