Chapter 9 - Pt.1

(This chapter is based on the events in the Attack on Titan OVA; "A Sudden Visitor: The Torturous Curse of Adolescence". You might want to watch it first if you haven't for this chapter to make sense, however, it is no spoiler for the main plot of the manga/anime so you can read it anyways if you want:) It is not like you won't understand anything if you don't)

Six months after our winter-training exercise, we made our way to Trost district for another exercise. We had to walk all the way there from boot camp while our higher-up's rode horses. It was exhausting, but nothing compared to the winter exercise.

You eyed Jean as you closed in on the mighty walls of his hometown. You prided yourself on having a sharp mind, being able to read people easily. However, Jean's face seemed to be a mix of a whole lot of emotions, making you unable to understand what he was thinking.

"I heard it's shown up again", you heard a group of people discuss once you entered the city. They were standing in front of a poster with a picture of a huge wild boar. "Someone should go and get rid of it already. We can't even work in peace with that thing around".

'Hmm, seems like that boar is causing a lot of problems. How big could it be?'

"This is awesome! I've never been in a walled city before!", Connie exclaimed and looked at the five of you walking with him.

"There are all sorts of tasty things here!", Sasha added excited. Jean just looked tired of being here already. How strange, this is his home, isn't it?

"You guys!", Jean called out to them, suddenly with the slightest smile on his face. They both turned around to face him as we kept walking. "if you join the city Garrison, you can stay here as long as you like! And I'll come to check up on you when I join the Military Police!", he said as he laughed, his manner indicating superiority. Sasha and Connie just looked like they were over it and you furrowed your brows as you eyed him. You then exchanged confused looks with Marco, both wondering what had gotten into Jean.

"Hey Jean, where do you live?", Armin asked him kindly, maybe trying to defuse the sudden tension?

"Does it matter?", Jean stated plainly, looking at Armin over his shoulder.

"You're going to visit home, right?", Marco asked.

"Yeah, Thomas said he was going home", you chimed in. "I'm sure your mom would be happy-"

"Shut up already!", Jean yelled at you, turning around, still walking. You were baffled, a shocked expression planted on your face. "It's none of your business anyways!".

"Geez, sorry Jean", you said, your tone as baffled as you felt.

"No reason to take whatever you are feeling out on her Jean!", Marco defended you. Jean just turned away. Marco put his hand on your shoulder to get your attention and gave you an expression that silently asked if you were okay. You simply nodded. Jean's reaction sure was unexpected, but him losing his cool wasn't something new, so you knew not to take it too personally. The six of you walked the rest of the way in silence.

~

The cadet corps were in Trost to carry out a practice evacuation and titan attack. Titan dummies were placed all around town. The population of Trost were to evacuate as you practised manoeuvring through the town, killing dummies as you saw them. Commander of the Garrison Regiment, Dot Pixis, where to observe the southern cadet corps. The whole cadet corps had gotten a stern command from Sadies to do your very best in showing the commander the skill set a cadet this close to graduating should have obtained after two years of boot camp. You were now standing on the roof of the Trost buildings, watching as the towns-folk evacuated. The towns bell rang, it's sound baring across the whole town. It was time to start.