Chapter 42

"Eren!". The relentless hacking-noise of Jean and Mikasa's swords against the crystal rung out between the walls of the cage. For the last ten minutes, you had tried to free Eren from the crystallized nape, and quite desperately so. If there was one thing you've learned from experience so far, it's that it didn't seem like your swords could penetrate such material... However, in this case it looked to be working.

"Eren!", Mikasa yelled again, the crystal cracking as she sent another hit. She was now able to pull him out by force.

'Hmm, it seems as though the crystal can be penetrated if the host is actively trying to get out as well... Could that be the reason? I need to write this down!'

You quickly found your notebook and started scribbling down your thoughts and theories on what you saw. After some hugging and exclaims of relief from seeing him being okay, you all regrouped by the foot of his titan form, Eren seeming to regain more and more strength by the minute.

"That's what I call hardening", Levi stated while looking up at the vast form. "Even after cutting you away, the titan hasn't disappeared. Pretty impressive". You quickly brought out your notebook again, making sure to note down anything useful.

"That bottle... Oh yeah! Right before I turned into a titan, I drank that 'Armour' bottle", Eren informed you with wide eyes.

'Armour bottle, got it!'

"Yeah, you couldn't do it at all before, but you used the hardening power and saved all of us. In the blink of an eye, you devised and built all this. Yeah the construction looks shoddy, but... I bet that's how the walls were made too".

You took a look around you for the millionth time, noticing every single detail of the intricate crystal pattern of the cage. You figured you should draw it as well.

Slumping down beside where Eren was currently seated you started sketching.

"In other words...", Levi continued, crouching down in front of Eren with the tiniest hint of a smirk. "It's possible for us to plug that hole in Wall Maria now".  Your pencil froze in its movement as you for the first time thought of what exactly Eren finally being able to crystalize meant for yourself and for humanity. You were finally going to be able to go home.

"A lot of enemies and allies have died on the way, and getting this far hasn't been pretty. But for as ugly it has been, look at the position we're in now".

You continued drawing, now starting on the details.

'We'll finally be able to investigate Eren's basement, and maybe I'll be able to see our house... Maybe even able to see them?'

"Captain! We've secured an exit!", Sasha yelled from above, where she, along with Connie and Marco, had been working relentlessly to move rocks and pebbles so you could leave this place safely.

"Armin's safe, Moblit and Hange too!", Marco said with a smile as him and Connie also came reeling down from the ceiling.

"Well done", Levi said content.

"Eren!"

"Are you okay?"

The three of the ran straight too him, Sasha collapsing down on all fours, bowing to his feet.

"We're all safe thanks to you. But to be perfectly honest, when you ran off prancing while crying like a baby... I thought we were doomed!", she started rambling on, clearly having a lot on her mind after that close call. " 'It's over, over! Get it together, nincompoop! Quit bawling like a snotty-nose brat!'- is what I thought". You all stared at her in silence, Marco frozen in his position with his hand on Eren's shoulder, as Sasha had started talking while he was about to greet him.