Chapter 29

The next day you were readying your things alone, preparing to leave for Stohess District with Levi and the other higher-ups, when Erwin, Miche and Levi all approached you. You smiled at them and saluted, your half-fastened saddle almost sliding off Myosotis as you turned away from her.

"Good morning", you greeted them, curious as to why all three of them were taking the time out of their busy schedule to talk with you, when one of them would be more than enough to relay a message. Erwin returned the greeting while Miche ruffled your hair, as he does.

"Y/N, there has been a slight change of plans", Erwin started saying, becoming serious. "After some evaluation, we have decided to gather up every recruit from the 104th cadet corps and keep them under surveillance for a little while, seeing that seems to be the source of our titan-shifters, up until this point anyways", he informed you. You furrowed your brows, wondering what this would mean for you exactly.

"So me, Armin, Mikasa and Jean can't go?", you asked him.

"Today's mission will continue as planned, but I have decided that you won't be taking a part of it after all. You'll be joining the rest of your classmates at a facility south of Wall Sina, under the surveillance of Miche and a couple of other soldiers", he explained further.

"But with all due respect sir, I can help you in Stohess! You know you guys will need all the help you can get. Do you really suspect me to hide any titan-abilities from you guys?", you asked him in disbelief. Levi looked uncomfortable. He didn't like upsetting you, but this was out of his control.

"Personally, I don't believe you do, but this is only a precaution so that we are certain Annie won't get any help from any possible allies. We need to keep as many new recruits out of this as possible, and because Jean, Mikasa and Armin are crucial elements in making the decoy believable, they have to join. Although your skills are way above average and absolutely useful for us, they can be excused from this exact mission. I hope you understand where I'm coming from Y/N", Erwin finished saying, being gentle in his delivery.

"But I want to help you...", you half-heartedly protested, knowing there was no changing his mind. You looked over at Levi again, eyes pleading. He just shook his head. A defeated sigh left your mouth.

"Hey, chin up Y/N, it's not so bad. You'll get the next two days off, doesn't that sound nice?", Miche tried cheering you up, grabbing a firm hold of your shoulder. You looked up at him, his positive demeanour rubbing off on you the slightest bit, and you gave him a little smile.

"I guess so... Okay Commander, I'll stay here with the rest", you confirmed, looking at him. Erwin smiled content, turning to leave as the Military Police could be seen arriving at the castle in the distance. He abruptly stopped and turned to you again.

"Oh, and another thing Y/N. I would appreciate if you kept quiet about Annie and what we have planned for Stohess today. Pretend to know just as much as your classmates; we don't need any surprises today", he said with a low voice. You nodded in agreement, and Erwin continued walking away.

"I'll see you later Y/N", Levi simply said, limping his way after Erwin.

"Yeah, be careful", you called out after him before sighing.

"Now Snorty, get yourself changed out of uniform and leave your gear behind. The rest of the recruits have been informed of this already. We leave in an hour", Miche told you, patting you lightly on the back before walking over to Nanaba and Gelgar standing by the stables.

You started making your way towards your room when you bumped into Jean in the corridors. You almost didn't recognize him as the brown wig caught you off guard.