Chapter 26

'I guess Eren can say he followed the squad's orders to the end'

Petra did tell him only to transform if his life was in danger, which it now really was... And you could do nothing to stop it...

You cowered in your position, feeling guilty that you had let down one of your closest friends. You and Eren had bonded a lot during the one week without your friends, further strengthening your already strong developed friendship from the Cadet Corps.

'At least Levi is here now. He'll make sure she pays for what she's done and get Eren back in one piece'

Your eyes were still closed, and you felt the exhaustion take further control over you, your eyelids feeling as heavy as the burden on Eren's shoulders.

'I'll just... just take a little nap...'

You felt yourself drift off, your hand pressing the blood-soaked cloth to your gash fell limp down to the branch.

~

"God damn it Y/N!", you heard Levi's voice exclaim. It sounded like he was talking under water, his voice sounding muffled through your 'clogged' ears. You heard someone else gasp slightly.

"Y/N?". You recognized Mikasa's voice. Firm hands started shaking you lightly, however becoming more frantic and harsher as you didn't indicate any sign of life.

"Levi", you heard yourself say, but the shaking didn't stop.

'Weird, did he not hear me?'

"You promised not to die on me", he said intensely.

'But I didn't Levi, I'm right here!... Aren't I? Shit, did I actually faint? How long were I gone for?'

"Levi?", you tried again, thinking you said it clearer this time. As the shaking continued you realized you still had your mouth closed. You concentrated all your energy at your mouth, forcing it to open this time, now actually feeing the vibrations in your throat, indicating this time you finally talked properly.

"Levi I'm tired", you said, and you felt his hands tremble slightly as he gently let go of your shoulders.

"I know, I'll get you home", he said, a remnant of relief left on his tone. He gently grabbed you, Mikasa voicing her concerns.

"But Captain, your leg...", she asked.

'His leg? What happened to his leg?! God I hope it didn't get chopped off!'

You squinted your eyes open just enough to look down, seeing his legs were still there. You let out a little relieved sigh, closing them again.

"I'll be fine, you concentrate on Eren!", he ordered, Mikasa giving him a little grunt of agreement. Your heart made a little jump at the mentioning of him.

'Thank god he's safe'

You felt the air against you as Levi took off, and you hung on a little tighter, thankful for this second chance at life.

~

You were now laying beside Eren in a wagon, your cloak tightly wrapped around you. Someone had tended to your wound and cleared you of any further serious injuries. It's miracle your bones weren't crushed, but you stood by your theory that it wasn't a coincidence. It had been several hours since Levi and Mikasa brought you here, and you had managed to sleep off the worst of your exhaustion. Eren was knocked out cold, whatever he endured back there demolished every bit of strength he had in his body, but he was alive at least.