Chapter 73

*3rd person POV*

As they flew further and further away, Mikasa having to physically hold a despaired Pieck back from jumping off the back of Falco's titan, their eyes widened upon witnessing the hundreds of lightning streaks blending into one.

Levi cursed himself for not being able to do a thing to stop this, watching the four of you look after them with confused, yet understanding eyes. Upon meeting your gaze, it was like the image before him of your young adult self was replaced by his memory of you as this young seventeen year old girl, fresh out of the Cadet Corps; eyes bright and mind set on freeing humanity of evil,- but most importantly, to protect the ones around you. To see your now sorry expression, smiling bravely at him, though realizing you'll never get to experience the free world you fought so hard for; it sent an ache through his heart.

'There she goes again,- smiling through her disappointment and sadness just so that I won't be sad... I promised to protect her, god damn it!'

You had turned around at this point, joining the others in a tight embrace. How did it come to this? Why do they all have to die?

The golden lights were blinding, and the trio atop Falco's back could no longer separate the many figures standing in the centre of it. A split second later, hundreds of pure titans emerged from the thick smoke and flashing lights. They could very clearly see the distinct features of the four of you behind the terrifying faces of a titan.

Your titan was still holding onto Marco's, but any love shared in that last hug was long gone as you pushed each other away with an animalistic drive, your wild eyes solely focused on the only human-like presence still around down on the ground; the Armoured Titan, still fighting the huge glowing spine with all his might.

Their eyes only widened as all the titans charged simultaneously, tumbling off the high cliff of the fort without a second thought. You all caved your way towards Reiner: all four of you, followed by Gabi and the rest of the oh so unfortunate Eldians who had seeked refuge here, hoping for an escape. You pushed at anyone getting in your way, the only thing present in your titan mind was reaching and eating Reiner straight out of his nape. It hurt to watch, as the three of them witnessed it all from above.

Armin had managed to turn his hurt gaze away from the scene, reminding himself of the importance of continuing. It was up to the rest of them to see this through now.

"You really love making life hell, don't you, Eren?!", he said stern from the comfort of the inside of the Colossal's nape. "Fine then... I'll keep doing this with you until the bitter end!!". The second he found himself close enough to Eren, he sent the first swing his way, which was immediately reciprocated from Eren's end.

Reiner was struggling to hold back the glowing spine now that you had caught up to him, clawing and biting with desperate movements. It hurt him deeply to suddenly see the faces of the people he knew behind the terrifying ones currently doing everything in hteir power to end him.

"Pieck, you're up!", Levi said once Falco soared above them, and she jumped with a fresh wound already cut into her hand. Annie seemed to have found her way out of the chaos that was the fort mere moments ago, now holding the glowing spine back by its tail in her titan form.

"AAHG!!", Mikasa exclaimed while clutching at her head. Her eyes were squeezed shut, tears of pain seeping through the closed lids.

"Mikasa?! Stay with me here!! We're the only ones left who can kill Eren!!"; Levi now yelled with a mixture of pure frustration and despair. It was up to them now, no one left but them to carry out this burden. Levi tried to yell some more sense into her head, trying to get any response from her end, but she couldn't hear anything through her throbbing head. She wanted to go back. Desperately longed for the time when he was still there with her. The time where she still had the chance to change his mind, share the pain and sins that he hid from all of you. She wanted to get back to their home.