Chapter 14

Flashback to year 847, 6 months after joining the cadet corps

"Oi, Y/N!", Eren called out. You were laying on your back on a branch while you waited for him. Your left leg was dangling over the edge, moving back and forth in a steady rhythm.

"Look who finally decided to show up!", you answered him playfully with an eye roll. You turned to your side and moved so you could look down over the edge of the thick branch. Eren looked around for a moment, trying to spot you in between all the green. When he finally spotted you a smile replaced his confused expression.

"Sorry, took a while to get Mikasa to understand she wasn't joining our training session", he said apologetically, using his gear to join you on the branch. You turned in your seat.

"I've always been meaning to ask this ever since we started these private trainings, but never got around to do it", you said as he sat down beside you.

"Ask what?"

"Why you want me to teach you? There are others who are much better than me.. Now I get why you won't ask Jean, but why not Mikasa? I know she would love to help", you said. Leaving Mikasa out of this didn't really feel right for some reason.

"Oh... Well I don't know. I just need some space, I guess? She's always around and I need to focus on building my own relationships while I'm here as well...", Eren answered, a hint of pink on his cheeks as he finished talking. Seems like he isn't that used to talking about personal feeling such as these. You realized you had never really heard him talk about anything else than titans, scouts, freedom and what's outside the walls. Even the few times you talked to him as a child it was always a rotation between those four themes.

"I guess I see your point", you answered him. "I'll take any chance I get to get to know my comrades better, so I don't mind", you nudged him lightly on his shoulder. He let out a little chuckle and shyly looked up at you again.

"Just make sure you are nice to her. She really just wants what's best for you, you know, everyone can see that", you said with a wink as you got up to your feet.

"Sure Y/N", he answered as he did the same.

"So, shall we get going?", you said, getting back to business. "I thought we would work on using your momentum to most efficiently save gas", you informed him.

You both took to your places, as you went over the points.

~

"Yeah, that's it Eren!", you exclaimed excited and landing back on your starting branch. Eren landed beside you shortly after.

"I really felt a difference that last time!", he declared proud. You smiled at him as you saw pure joy overtaking the boy.

"You have come a long way on your ODM gear skills since we started this Eren! I'm proud of you!", you said and sat down on the edge of the branch, letting both your feet dangle.

"All thanks to you Y/N, I don't know if I could keep up with the regular exercises if you hadn't helped me so much", he took a seat by your side.

It was a nice warm day, and a cool breeze tickled your face. Your arms supported you as you leaned back, turning your head upwards with closed eyes. You both sat there enjoying the weather for a couple of minutes before Eren broke the silence.

"Hey, do you know what day is coming up?", he asked quietly. Your hearted ached as you immediately knew what day he was referring to.

"Yeah...", you answered weakly, trying not to let your emotions get out of hand. "It's not that hard to remember.. It seems like no matter how many years go by, it never gets easier to handle...", you confessed, using your arms to press your knees to your chest while you rested your head on top of them. You always did this when it felt like you were going to combust. It was like you held yourself together.

"I see what you mean...", Eren agreed, looking into the distance. "Its like whenever the date closes in, things that are usually fun can't distract me anymore. Nothing feels worthwhile".

"Yeah, I'm not looking forward to explain why I may not act the same as I usually do around that time to the others, though I know they would understand if I tried", you answered.

The two year anniversary of the Shiganshina attack and your parent's death was coming up, and it was always a time for grievance and remembrance. However, this would be the first time you weren't going to be all alone on that day, and you didn't really know how to act.

"I guess I'll just take it as it comes, no reason to dwell on it before it happens", you continued, releasing the hold on your knees, letting them dangle freely over the edge again.

"Yeah, only time will tell", he agreed quietly. You two went silent for a while, the tension after that sad conversation was unbearable. You decided to direct the subject back to his training.

"But for real, your training is getting much better! I know the first few fail's with the ODM gear was a gear malfunction, but you really have improved from your starting point!", you boasted, wanting him to feel motivated to continue his continuous improvement.

"Thanks Y/N!", he smiled at you confidently.

"I'm sure by the end of training, you will complete your goal in no time. Hell, with your confidence and relentless drive I'm sure even death can't hold you back", you laughed and Eren joined in. You were thankful for moments like these with your friends. It was these memories you would hold on to and cherish in the future if something were to happen to them.

Your stomach growled loudly, abruptly pulling you out of your thoughts. The two of you silently looked at each other again and laughed simultaneously at the sound.

"I think I better get going, I promised Sasha I wouldn't be late for lunch", you said, calming down your laughter.

"Sure, let's get back then", Eren patted you once on your back, and jumped down from the high tree, you jumping right after him.

_______________________________

A/N:

This was a bit of a shorter chapter, but I wanted to incorporate flashbacks from certain events that happened between Y/N and different characters when they have a slight correlation to the current events. So I thought I would ocationally have chapters such as this in between the main storyline moving forward, so you can get a deeper understanding of the different relationships and events that has been forming "off screen". These chapters will vary in length.

Hope you enjoyed it, next chapter will be up soon!

Have a wonderful day!<3

~Jen