Chapter 50

The sky was displaying an array of golden orange and soft yellow colours as the sun was starting to set, twilight awaiting its turn.

As you stood atop the wall of Trost, looking out on the vast land leading to your home, you couldn't help feeling a bit nervous.

'What will it be like to return? Is everything in ruins? Is... is the boulder still there?'

"Hey Y/N! We're being sent off by the crowd now", Sasha grabbing at your arm pulled you out of your thoughts.

"Hey, hey, hey! Slow down", you giggled as she dragged you through groups of Scouts until she reached Jean, Marco and Connie at the edge of the wall facing the city.

"Take back Wall Maria for us!"

"The future of humanity is in your hands!"

"You all come back in one piece, all right?!"

The vast crowd of civilians gathered below the Wall screamed out for you, cheering you on before you went out on your reclaiming mission. It was very rare for the departure crowd to be this optimistic and supportive, and the sight of the many people wishing for your safety and success warmed your heart and made you grin widely.

You looked over at the others, all wearing the same smile as you on their lips. The anticipation hanging in the air was almost palpable.

"YEAH!", Connie and Sasha screamed out.

You laughed, bubbling with excitement.

"YOU CAN COUNT ON US!", you cupped your hands around your mouth as Jean, Marco, Sasha and Connie continued to cheer with their arms up in the air, taking in the praise and well-wishes from the public.

"YOU KNOW WE WILL!", Jean yelled even louder. You were aware that literally every single one of the other Scouts were being silent and looking at the five of you completely dumbfounded, but you didn't care. Who knows what will happen on your way over there. Might as well savour the good moments as much as you could.

The crowd, however, cheered you on harder after noticing you and your friends' screams.

As you continued to scream and rally, another roar joined your holler; one deep and powerful. Erwin had raised his arm, yelling like he had just ordered you to advance head on with the enemy, and the crowd went crazy.

"The final operation to retake Wall Maria will now commence!", he announced determined while holding up his blade.

That was your cue.

And with a last cheer from the crowd, you turned to get Myosotis and take the lift down to the other side of the wall; To Wall Maria and titan-infested territory.

~

The darkness of the night had spread across the walls, no moonlight in sight to help ease the blackness as you made your way through a small forest. The only source of light you had was the lanterns you were holding containing glowing ore you discovered in Rod Reiss' cavern. It was a brilliant discovery since it would never stop glowing, meaning you had everlasting light-sources.

"Hey Hange...", you took a few hurried steps away from Marco and the others to walk by her side as you spoke to her. She turned her head and looked at you with a raised brow and an intrigued look. You made sure to speak quietly, mainly because you didn't really want anyone else to hear, but also because of the strict minimum talking/optimal stealth order; you could never be too careful since you didn't know where Reiner and Bertholdt could have set their base.

"I... I promise to put my own vengeance aside if my chance at it is at an inappropriate time for the good of my comrades.. But that being said; can you promise me I'll get the final blow if it comes down to it? I've never really felt I have to do something so strongly as I do this... It's like I need to do it to be able to live on", you felt kind of insecure asking for this. Of course if someone else gets the chance of killing Reiner first, they should take it; Better him be dead by someone else's hand than free because they spared him for you to be the one to do it.