Chapter 40

You had taken the man with you, moving further along the forest edge to question him about Eren's whereabouts. It was now dark, Levi had him pinned up against a tree, kicking him again and again.

"Stop it", the man weakly pleaded, his face scrunched up in agony.

"Where are Eren and Crista?", Levi asked him again. The man got a sudden look of smugness, looking up at Levi.

"Oh, you're so brave. That checkpoint back there was just recruits who could barely wipe their own ass. You think you're some sort of hero, beating them down?". Connie and Sasha exchanged looks, probably because they were so confident earlier. You clung a little tighter to Marco's arm. You weren't so keen on the whole torture/beating-to-get-answers thing, but it had to be done. It was just hard to watch, but you refused to let the man see it in your face.

"What an atrocious thing we've done", Levi said sarcastically before shoving the whole front half of his boot into the man's mouth. You gawked slightly while the man gurgled in discomfort. "But what's more atrocious is this mouth of yours. I recommend you start talking while you're still able to use it". Levi applied more pressure before he repeated; "Where are Eren and Crista?". Pulling his foot harshly away from his mouth, the man gasped for air.

"It's no use! All that's left for you now is to run and hide inside these walls, covered in mud and shit! If you don't turn yourselves in, every last Scout will get the noose!", the man yelled, spit and blood spraying like a fountain out of his mouth and you noticed Levi scrunching his nose when he noticed some of it landed on his pants. "We'll start with the one most guilty of all, Erwin Smith!". You got a gruesome image of Erwin hanging by his neck, shuddering as a result of it. The rest didn't look too pleased either.

He made a mistake saying that, Levi now harshly turning him around, pinning him hard against the tree while twisting his arms behind his back. You heard crunching sounds as his arms were twisted to far in the wrong direction, resulting in the man screaming out in agony once again.

"Shut up. That's for not answering my question". Levi sounded as calm as ever, however it was clear just how impatient and annoyed he had become at this point. "Some Scout's lives are more valuable than others. Only those dumb enough to acknowledge that join us.". Levi let go of the man and got up to his feet. "Tell me where Eren and Crista are at".

The man seemed frantic at this point, tears streaming down his face as he stuttered his response. "I-I don't know! I'm not allowed to know! Kenny Ackerman is a very cautious man!".

"Ackerman?", Levi repeated the name as the rest of you peeked over at Mikasa with a puzzled look. "I know Kenny... Is that his last name?".

"It is, but..."

"It is as you say, he is a cautious man. There's a lot of things he doesn't divulge... Especially the important stuff. But you must have a rough idea.". Levi started inching closer to him again and the man's breathing became more rapid. "You best try to remember".

"Stop it!"

"You still have plenty of bones left to break". Levi grabbed his arm.

"S-Stop it!". Levi stretched out the mans arm behind him, the position making breaking his arm as easy as snapping a twig. "You... You're insane!", he cried. Levi looked at him for a moment.

"Maybe I am"

"Someone's coming this way!", Sasha suddenly exclaimed from your right. She had already pointed her arrow at the figures, ready to fire. You all quickly readied your blades and rifles, getting behind trees and bushes to not be immediately spotted.

"Told you so, Captain", the man started talking as he was pinned down to the ground. You furrowed your brows. Him talking could ruin everything. "It's no use. One way or another, the Scouts will soon come to an end!". You laid flat on the ground, the gras just tall enough to hide in, aiming your rifle at the two figures closing in.