Chapter 24

The next three weeks had consisted of relentless training and preparations for the 57th exterior expedition. You had trained with the new recruits but mostly with the special operation squad, practicing advanced manoeuvres. As the day came closer, the atmosphere became tenser. No matter how many times the veterans had ventured out, even they dreaded the sight's they would see once passing those walls. The newest recruits were stressed out of their minds, remembering their last encounter with the titans. You however were more stressed about the safety of your friends rather than meeting a titan yourself. You could never live with yourself if Marco actually got eaten this time, the same with the rest of your group.

You and Marco had spent as much alone time as you could seeing the days were filled to the brim with training and other military duties. To prevent your growing relationship from becoming an obstacle rather than something enjoyable, you had decided to take it as it went, not labelling it- yet. The weight of the exterior mission was very much carried by the both of you, and you knew you had to focus on getting stronger so you could come back to each other.

It was a nice, sunny day; perfect for relaxing outside, but that was far from what you were doing today. All the scouts were lined up and ready to leave the walled city of Calaneth and venture out into the unknown. Well, unknown for you as you have never properly been outside the walls. Although you technically have when you were younger and lived in Shiganshina by Wall Maria, you could not properly remember what it looked like out there. You felt excited and nervous to see the sight of what was taken from humanity.

As you waited for Erwin to officially start the mission you thought back to your evening with Marco yesterday. Both knowing this morning would be hectic you made sure to see each other the night before to be able to send each other off properly.

~Flashback~

"Hey Marco", you smiled as you found him standing leaning against the wall of the castle. His face lit up the moment he saw you, however a little hint of sadness could be spotted in his eyes. The two of you walked over to the backside of HQ, knowing you would be completely alone there. He immediately pulled you into his embrace, holding you close like only someone who were about to lose someone could. It was comforting but sad.

You pushed him against the wall using your body and moved you face towards his, quickly connecting your lips. He seemed surprised at first, but hurriedly brought his hands down to your waist, moving his thumbs to caress your middle. You ran your fingers through his hair, amazed by its softness.

"Marco, please come back to me", you whispered, breaking the kiss. He leaned his forehead against yours, looking at you with eyes full of love and longing.

"I will do everything and more to make sure I do", he assured you with a smile. "As long as you promise the same though", he added with a wink. You giggled slightly and nodded gently.

"Of course, it will take a lot to break me you know. I'm too stubborn to die", you said with a chuckle. He joined in, but you could see he flinched at the mention of you and death in the same sentence. He probably got a pretty gruesome image in his head as you said that. Hell, you still can't forget the sight of Marco in that titan's grasp; his arm almost gnawed right off. Just like that. You shivered at the memory.

"Are you cold?", Marco asked and immediately took off his cloak to drape it over your shoulders.

"Oh, I just remembered something sad, but it's okay", you quickly excused yourself. "Thank you though", you added and beamed up at him. He got his usual look of admiration at the sight of you.

"You truly are so beautiful", he said sincerely, his eyes looking like he was in a trance. "Always have been", he then added, his voice airy. You felt your face heat up and hid it in his chest. He laughed a little at your modesty, wrapping his arms around you. "I'll tell you that as many times as I need for you to take it with pride", he teased, kissing the top of your head. You giggled wrapping your arms around him as well.