Chapter 67

Mikasa had found you in one of the backrooms where Armin was currently preparing to leave.

"Armin, wait... You can't catch up to Connie if you set off for Ragako now", Mikasa said after being filled in on what was going on. "And even if you did, then what? Would you tell him to give up on turning his mom back into a human? Really?"

You had been observing them quietly, not really sure what to make of his plan. You absolutely agreed Falco should be spared, but the circumstances around Connie's situation was... delicate.

"I will", Armin declared determined, still not looking at her. "Even if it doesn't work out, I need to do everything I possibly can do. Gabi won't trust me unless she sees me act. We need her", he continued to explain while buckling up another strap of his gear. "Reiner and the Cart Titan are still hiding somewhere. She could make the difference between us getting along with them and not". He paused for a second, before raising his voice ever so slightly. "It's not as if the issue of inheriting the nine titans is going away. In the worst case we'd have to repeat the last two thousand years of conflict surrounding their power, all on this tiny island. If I'm being honest with you, I'm so tired I want to hop in a bed and sleep for about two days straight. But if I don't do everything I can right now it's going to have a massive effect on human history's compact little future!".

Both yourself and Mikasa looked at him saddened and with a tired manner. You were all tired. Mentally drained and physically exhausted. The universe seemed to work like that; always sending new challenges your way, never giving you a proper chance to catch your breath. It feels like you've been running for seven years straight- Like you started running that first night in the Cadet Corps, but just never really truly stopped.

"I will tell Connie! I'll tell him that I think it's fine for his mom to stay an upside-down titan, and that he should too!", he yelled, and you flinched. Harshly, he got up from his seat and walked towards the door. "I'm going", he declared, brushing past you.

"Armin", Mikasa croaked out. "What should I do?". Armin froze by the door, his hand resting on the doorknob. Mikasa sounded utterly lost.

"Help Jean and them out... Think for yourself for once", he said lowly. That last comment irked you. It's only natural for Mikasa to feel a little lost right now, that was an unnecessary thing to say.

"What about Eren?", she asked unsure. Armin's shoulders tensed up, and he turned with a harsh motion.

"I don't know!!", he screamed at her, walking all up in her face. You looked at him shocked. "And what could we do anyway?! Hange and Captain Levi could be dead right now! Floch and his men might start pointing their guns at us next! And Annie might have come back! The military's chain of command is broken! It's chaos!!", he grabbed at his hair in frustration as he went on yelling. "That's right, even Historia could be in danger! The volunteers, the Azumabito and Nicolo are going to be in peril too!". Mikasa looked down at the ground shameful throughout all of it while Armin kept unravelling right in front of her. "So listen! We're in no place to think about Eren! He's a lost cause! Don't you at least understand that?!". You get his frustration, but Mikasa looked just about ready to cry at this point. You shook yourself out of your frozen state and placed yourself in the middle, lightly shoving him back just a little, to create a distance between them.

"Armin!". You only said his name, hoping the tone of your voice was enough to make him understand he needed to tone it down. Judging by the look of realization he gave you, he did.

"Sorry", Mikasa nothing but whispered behind you. It was just a single word, but she sounded so sorrowful, it was enough to make your heart ache. You and Armin both looked down, hurt.