Chapter 20

It was actually quite interesting listening to Hange tell you about Sawney and Bean, her new titan-children so to speak. You found out she was even more sympathetic towards titans than you though, as she grieved and regretted them accidentally killing the last captured titans. She saw personalities in them- they were living, capable beings. You know it would take a lot for you to view them as anything else than monsters, whose only purpose is to kill, but you were on board with researching them. Even Eren got around in the end, inspired by Hange's hatred-to-fascination story. It's when Eren asked her for details about the mornings experiments that it became harder to keep your eyes open. Her word's melted into each other, making it impossible to separate and piece the sentences together. You zoned out with your eyes still open, and apparently you zoned out for a long time, as rays of light made their way inn, peeking through the window glass. It was morning already.

The doors to mess hall opened with a bang, an exhausted and frantic Moblit standing in the middle of the doorway.

"Hange! The test subjects! Both titans were killed!", he exclaimed. Hange quickly got up from her seat and you all followed her out. Along with the Levi squad you quickly rode to the titan research area. Hange's cries of agony could be heard across the whole town as you saw the bony remains of what once was Sawney and Bean.

You stood between Eren and Levi in the crowd of soldiers spectating the scene. Eren had his hood on to not be recognised.

"You think a soldier did it?", you asked Eren, still eyeing Hange worried as she broke down in front of the remains.

"Maybe... Someone might not have liked that after everything that happened they got to live? But at the same time, they were really valuable to humanity...", Eren answered, thinking out loud.

"Who would but their own revenge-agenda in front of what's best for humanity? Even you and I understand that, and eliminating all titans was our whole thing during boot camp. In your case that very much is your whole personality still", you added with a smirk, as a quick jab at him.

"Hey!", Eren exclaimed half-offended, but someone grabbing a hold off both his and your shoulder stopped it from escalating.

"What do you see?", Erwin asked the two of you out of the blue. You both looked at him confused. "Who do you think the enemy is?", he continued, looking straight ahead.

'What have I signed myself up for?'

"Sir?", you asked carefully after Eren didn't answer.

"I'm sorry to ask something so odd. Never mind", he said, seeming more like himself than half a minute ago. He walked away from you, joining Levi as he had already made his way towards the exit.

"How strange", you said to Eren, but he kept quiet. He just stared after the commander.

~

The MP's took the killings of the titan-subject's seriously and ordered for every soldier's gear to be checked. You end Eren were excused as they had solid proof that you were nowhere near the scene at the time it happened. You had been talking with Hange at the time of the incident after all. Hange was a wreck, but had Eren's titan experiments to look forward to, so she managed to push her grief to the side and resume her usual excited manner.

"I said I'd only be able to stop you as a titan if I killed you. But with this method, you would only end up badly wounded, which is better than being dead in my book", Levi said, moving closer to a chalkboard to illustrate the method. You scrunched your nose at how casually he was discussing killing him, but you guess it couldn't be helped.

'Hey, at least he took the initiative to find another alternative'

The sound of chalk hitting the board in swift and long motions filled the silence as you all waited in anticipation for Levi to move and reveal his drawing.