Chapter 46

For each day that passed, you felt more and more like a part of his family. Early on your last full day there, you walked out the door breathing in the fresh morning air.

"I'm just going to head out to the market before he wakes up. There's a last minute thing I wanna get", you informed Louisa as you passed her in the garden. She was pulling out weeds from the ground, straightening up her crouched stance to look at you.

"Okay dear. Breakfast will be ready soon, so don't be out too long"

"I won't", you assured her with a smile and started heading in the direction of the town square.

It was Marco's birthday today; The big 18. Now the only ones left of your friends that hadn't turned 18 was Armin and Sasha. You scouted the square, trying to spot the stand you were looking for.

'Hopefully, she's open at this hour... There she is!'

"Hello again", the old lady greeted you happily. "Come to get another look?"

"Yes, I couldn't stop thinking about your work! I'm actually looking for something"

"Something for that young man that accompanied you last time?", she asked with a raised brow.

"Yeah", you answered sheepishly, eyeing everything that was on display.

"I think I have something quite fitting". She proceeded to pick up a pin version of the necklace you were looking at last time, even remembering what flower you were most intrigued by. "I couldn't help but overhear you are in the military. A pin should suffice; it won't get in the way or fall off accidentally". You took the pin out of her hand, inspecting it.

"This is... perfect, actually! I'll take it"

Content with your purchase, you made your way back with what felt like a permanent smile plastered on your lips. It was like nothing could ruin today's striking mood. The roads of Jinae were now like ingrained in your memory, even close to feeling more familiar than the ones you used to walk in Shiganshina.

~

"Happy birthday angel/Marco!", you and Louisa cheered simultaneously as she placed a homemade cake in front of him after dinner. He smiled while looking at the little candle placed in the middle of it, probably trying to figure out what he should wish for.

Finally, he blew out the flame and you started serving a slice each.

"I can't believe you two will be leaving tomorrow already. I've grown so used to having you around again", Louisa said with a sweet smile, visibly trying to hold back her sadness so she wouldn't ruin the mood. You returned the smile while Marco placed his hand on top of hers.

"I'm sure we'll be able to visit more often after we've reclaimed Wall Maria and the titan-situation is more under control", Marco said to her in an attempt to lift her spirits. She took a deep breath.

"I know... Just... Please be careful on that next mission. A lot of... things can happen out there", her voice faltered as her eyes got shiny. There it was. You had noticed there was something she had been avoiding mentioning the whole time you've been here. Something weighing her down; The fear of you or Marco dying during the next mission beyond the wall.

"Mom-", Marco seemed to be at a loss of words.

"Louisa, I won't let any harm come to your son. I promise. And I don't intend dying either... I still have too much to see and experience. Like the ocean". Everything Armin had ever told you about this supposed wonder called the ocean came to mind. You were more than excited to see this phenomenon for yourself.